First came dual flush toilets — a pretty ingenious idea for saving water — then about a year or so ago somebody came up with the idea of a dual flush conversion kit for your existing toilet but priced it so high your grandchildren wouldn’t live long enough to see any payback. Today we noticed MJSI sells a conversion kit that doesn’t cost much more than just replacing your toilet’s guts would anyway.

The HydroRight HYR270 converts your existing toilet into a dual flush toilet with a partial flush that uses 70% less water for liquid and paper and a full flush for solids (that’s their euphemism for poo). They claim you can install it in less than 5-10 minutes without tools and without removing the tank. As with any home repair it’ll probably take you 3 times as long unless you’re really, really motivated by the need to use the john after your third beer.

You’ll pay something like $20 to $25 for the HydroRight dual flush converter.

HydroRight [MJSI]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Dual Flush Conversion Kit On The Cheap

1. Mike says:

I bought one of these about 2 months ago to try and cut down on our water bill. It was very easy to install.

At the same time I bought this kit (http://www.amazon.com/One2flush-Converter-Converting-Existing-Efficient/dp/B002IYHSRE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1270758668&sr=1-2). A bit more difficult to install because it required removing the tank.

Results? Definitely go with the 2nd unit. The first one has to be adjusted about once a week to keep water from leaking around the seal. Since no tools are required to install it, the only thing holding it in place is a zip tie. With the normal strain of a toilet being jostled when you sit on it the seal won’t stay tight. There have been absolutely no issues with the 2nd unit.

Additionally, I originally liked the “push button” look of the first. However, you can’t flush the toilet with the lid up. With the second unit you can reach behind the lid and push it to get a flush. All around the 2nd is better for not much cost.

2. Gil says:

We have our own well and septic tank, I do not care. Am I a bad person?

3. blitzcat says:

Let me know how it goes with longevity and three years out I might install this. I’d like to save water, but I’m not willing to risk angering the wife with a non-functioning plastic gimmick that jams on hard water deposits or whatever. Our poo removal system is currently working just fine, things could be tense if it wasn’t on account of an -upgrade-.

4. KMR says:

Gil, the more fluids you flush into your septic field, the lower its absorbtion ability. So in spring time here in the north east, when your leach field has relatively poor drainage (saturated with snow melt and rain water), not putting excess fluid into the system is a good thing. I’d also imagine that with lower dillution levels (less water form each flush), the natural processes that break down the solid matter in your septic tank actually work more efficiently.

One of the toilets in our NY house was an old old nearly 3.5 gallon a flush beast. We just put in a 1.2 gal per flush unit. Works really well. The dual flushes are typically 0.9gal and 1.6gal, we figured by going with a 1.2gal we would average out about the same at a lower purchase cost. No clogs on the 1.2 gal, and it very very rarely requires two flushes. The key to the lower volume flushes seems to be the venturi shape of the bowl outlet.

5. Shopmonger says:

KMR good points, and i too have septic and my own well, but as far as i know there are very few self powered wells, so you will lower power consumption, and water is still a precious resource…..No Gil you are not a bad person…haa haa haa haa But for someone with a low producing well, and a smaller septic tank this may be a great option, i am going to try one of these in my master bathroom toilet…

ShopMonger

6. Andrew says:

I saw the plumber on ask this old house install this unit the other day. He had to install a pimped out fluidmaster for everything to work correctly

7. Chris W says:

If its yellow let it mellow.
    If its brown flush it down.
    Don’t need a dual flush.

8. Chris says:

Chris W: Sure, but that starts to smell after a while.

Closing the lid makes it smell somewhat less, but doesn’t totally solve the problem.

If you’re really THAT concerned with saving resources, get a toilet that has the capability to separate urine and use the separated urine as fertilizer. (Or just piss in a jug.) Better to keep the nitrogen in the local environment where it can be put to good use than to add it to the water supply where it will cause problems.

cl

9. ambush says:

Why do you need to separate the urine? Just go straight to the source. IE piss on a tree. They make urinals now that don’t even flush, they just have a valve or something, no water required.

10. Old Coot says:

Just follow George Costanza’s example…pee in the shower (but don’t be seen doing it!).

11. Chris W says:

Of course, if the odor gets bad I flush. I don’t think the neighbors would like me fertilizing the trees, but the shower is a good option. As George said “its all pipes!”

12. Chris says:

ambush: As Chris W noted in his follow-up post, unless you live out in the sticks with no neighbours, they tend not to want to see you pissing in the yard.

cl

13. russ says:

I like the ones in Europe that use little water all of the time and wake you up in the process.

14. don wade says:

just shorten the chain and hold until enough water passes for proper flush.

15. don wade says:

humm can’t resist….. is a bit anal yes>?

16. JK says:

I installed two of these in my apt on 3.5gal Briggs toilets. They will work with a plain fluidmaster or you can use their Hydroclean fill valve. The Hydroclean lets you control how much water goes to the bowl without overfilling, agitates the tank water to preserve flush valve gaskets, and emits an audible click to notify of any leaks. A better system than the other leak stopper fill valves that cut out fill to the tank. Don’t need to be dropping a deuce to find the tank empty after.

The 1 gal flush will move a lot of solids but may leave traces of urine. I use the fluidmaster flush n sparkle bowl cleaner with bleach cartridges so I don’t mind. Also in case of floaters a second 1 gal flush is still less than 3.5, and fills faster if someone is in the shower and you don’t have pressure balancing valves.

The install is quick. You don’t want to push to hard to get a seal, you should clean the flush valve seat first. Time needs to be taken to get the settings right. The button action is a little heavy, not so great for the elderly or small kids. My small daughter is an explorer so I don’t mind.

17. Rudy says:

I know nothing about plumbing but I thought that low flow were not recommended on septics because the extra water was needed to move everything completely into the tank. Is that just a myth?

I would like to convert to save electricity at the well as stated above.