Sure we learn by our mistakes, but we don’t have to advertise them to the world. If you make more mistakes than the tiny nub of an eraser on your pencil can handle, maybe it’s time to upgrade to an electric eraser like the above Sakura model.

Powered by two AAA batteries, this compact eraser runs spins at 12,000 RPM to quickly remove marks.  Designed to be easy to control and comfortable to use, it weighs only 2.8 oz. It uses two different types of erasers: white vinyl for pencil and blue solvent for drafting ink.

Pricing for the electric eraser starts around $35 before shipping. You can pick up a 70-pack of replacement erasers for about seven or eight bucks.

Electric Eraser [Sakura]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

23 Responses to A Quicker Way To Get Rid Of Mistakes

1. Pete D says:

To me, the combined value of this and an electric pencil sharpener is zero. Actually, it’s negative because they’re just more power gadgets for something done perfectly well by hand.

Bah Humbug

2. Murray R says:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there was no CAD. None in this galaxy, either.

Pre-CAD, I was a draftsman for a few years after high school and had a corded one of these. Actually pretty handy for correcting a mistake. Now, not so much. Perhaps if you’re an architect and still work with pencil/ink and velum/film.

3. deanS says:

Always thought of this as specific tool for a specific purpose. If your drafting or an artist and you need to remove a lot of pencil marks and are worried about possible damage to the paper that’s well and fine. But for the average person I find a eraser in a holder like a Pentel Clic Eraser works fine and is cheaper.
    As to Pete D comments about the electric pencil sharpener I find that I agree with him on that.

4. Stan says:

Reminds me too much of drafting. Never did like drafting, or electric erasers.

5. fred says:

@Pete D

Back in the day when draftsmen (and women) toiled at drafting tables – these were corded tools used with eraser shields – and were of high value in increased productivity.

Once CAD came in – I agree with you that this tool may have lost most if not all of its value.

6. ToolGuyd says:

I don’t think that I would get much use out of a tool like this. No, not because I’ve completely switched to CAD and CAD-like tools, but because I don’t make mistakes. =)

In all seriousness, I’ve considered getting a corded model once or twice, but as a hobbyist I barely break a sweat when erasing. I use my drafting tools fairly irregularly, and when I do it’s not like my technical drawings are of archival quality anyways. Since most of times my drawings are only for personal projects or reference, a few smudged eraser marks aren’t enough to justify purchasing a tool like this.

7. Randy says:

Electric pencil sharpeners have no value? Bah humbug to that. Mechanical pencils suck. Manual twist pencil sharpeners are useless. Manual turn handle pencil sharpeners are fine if they are screwed to a solid surface. The suction cup ones suck.
    If you really like traditional pencils (and I do), quality electric sharpeners are the best. Current quality can be low, however. My 20 year old Hitachi PH-101 dominates any battery powered options on the market today. My relatively new Panazonic plug-in is quite impressive also.

8. Shalin says:

I smell a whole post or discussion thread on great tools that people think aren’t used any more 🙂

I never used one of these electric erasers, but I know they do have value to those who do a lot of pencil/ink on paper/velum.

9. Chris W says:

I’ve heard these are useful for removing pinstriping. From cars, not pants.

10. Pete D. says:

Well, let me explain.

My drafting experience was limited to junior high school, where my largest sheet was a couple weeks of work. If I recall, I didn’t even earn an A on that it had some line width problems or some such minor flaw, damn you Mr. Sh***. That, my friends, was over thirty years ago. We had one of those corded electric erasers, but I never went so far wrong that I needed electric erasing, although I could see the possible needed for a professional back in those days. Now, Hmmm. For ME, like I said: worthless.

As far as sharpening, one thing I learned from my meager drafting experience is the joy of a pointed pencil. That’s part of why I don’t use mechanical pencils. I prefer soft (#1) octagonal wood pencils, although I now have a few less-roll-prone Tri-conderogas around. Using soft pencils means lots of sharpening. My manual pencil sharpener is screwed into a solid surface: my workshop wall, just like is has been in every house I’ve “owned.” I expect that modest tool will out last me.

11. Chris says:

What’s wrong with mechanical pencils? I agree those 10-for-$1 Bic “disposables” are crap, but there are plenty of mechanical pencils out there that are FAR better than a traditional wood-and-graphite pencil for most writing tasks. For woodworking, I’ll stick with a carpenter’s pencil, thanks, but for anything involving actual writing, mechanical pencils are vastly superior, starting with their lack of requirement to keep a sharpener handy so that you can get a fine line.

cl

12. steve says:

hahaha imagine someone whipping that thing out during class? That’s one way to get marked as the biggest nerd in school (for life).

13. Jerry says:

How much? This looks like something you should be able to get on late night TV for ten bucks with “free lifetime erasers – just pay packaging and handling.”
    For pencils, I love the Ticonderoga SenseMatic. Of course, this might be called a mechanical pencil – it really is. The plastic body makes it look like your everyday wooden pencil with an eraser at the top end. The “lead” is dispensed automatically as needed. But, if you like these, don’t be fooled into tossing them – you can easily insert new “leads” into them.
    Hey! Anyone still use a slide rule? Ha! Do you know what a slide rule is?

14. ShopMonger says:

I have used these in electronics to clean burned contacts….. the white tip erasers work well for that. Even slot car guys use these to clean the pads on the cars…. so maybe a portable version would be nice for computer guys?

ShopMonger

15. Ted says:

Ooh, I like that lateral thought there ShopMonger, these would be perfect for contact cleaning, especially with the pen style rubber that has a fine embedded grit. I clean contacts with one of those fiberglass “pencils” they make for detailers and bodyshop guys, works great but I hate getting the little fibers embedded in my fingers.

My CAD skills are awful so I make a lot of simple 3-views both for work and my own projects. I like the old drafting pencils which are essentially a holder for a big chunk of lead that you sharpen with a piece of sandpaper or one of those manual eccentric rotary sharpeners. For everyday stuff, a 0.9mm mechanical pencil lives in my pocket, I just wish I could find lead softer than HB for them.

Cheers, Ted

16. Bill says:

Now if it only came with a laser guide……..

17. kdp says:

Taking the lateral thought even further – I worked for a now defunct pacemaker company assembling programmer devices (think luggable computer). To handle RF, the plastic bezel was painted with a conductive paint, which was then covered with production paint.

We used the corded version to remove the top layer of paint at the spot where we mounted a ground lug. Tricky was removing just enough that the lug made contact.

18. JT says:

I was a pen and pencil draftsman for over 20 years, never went to CAD, still have all my stuff and piddle with it once in a while. My elecrtic eraser was indespensable to me and for mechanical pencils I used 4 sizes of pentels. I now have a Rotring pencil that is a fine piece of work.

19. Old Coot says:

Hey! I recently got ripped for my snark about lasers…how come Bill @ 7:50am is getting a pass? 😉

20. Jerry says:

The price is the big drawback for this particular device. Maybe it’s just me but I never heard of this manufacturer. A company named “Staedtler” makes a lot of drafting products of high quality and they also make one of these battery powered erasers. Search for “staedtler electric eraser” and you will find a few sources that offer them for about ten bucks.

21. Mike47 says:

This looks like a great tool for a high-production mistake-maker. I wonder what other great tools could be linked to a Tim-The-Tool-Man expert screw-up, with tongue firmly planted in cheek?

22. deanS says:

@Ted you need to go to one of the larger art supply stores online or brick & mortar for lead like that nowadays. You should be able to find B or 2B in 0.9

Used to be a Pearl’s near where I live now I’m down to the Art Supply Warehouse.

23. Bill says: