Kidding aside, if you’re one of those folks that likes your toes to fly free in your boots, you probably hate most steel-toes — and not just because they’re heavy. Most steel toe boots reign in toe room because they need the extra room to cram in the steel box that gives ’em their name. Red Wing feels your constriction, though: Their King Toe models offer 44% more toe room.

They also include non-metallic safety toes, which Red Wing claims will pass through metal detectors. They’re non-conductive, too, a real benefit if you’re an electrician or work around high-voltage rigs. Besides that, they come in a whole bunch of styles. The above mode is a 6″ boot with full grain waterproof leather uppers. I personally like 6″ boots, but if you like the big ‘uns (or oxford-like shoes), they’ve got ’em — complete with the extra toe space.

Street pricing starts around $100 and ranges up to $200 or so based on the model you choose.

King Toe Models [Red Wing]
The Men’s 435 (Pictured) [Red Wing]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to King Toe: For Big, Um, Toes

1. shopmonger says:

you know what they say about a man with big toes….

ShopMonger

2. David Bryan says:

I know a man who has a big toe for a thumb. All he’s got on that hand.

3. dom says:

I know some guys that would like this.

But red wing and other work shoe makers have to improve the area between the back end of the steel or composite toe and the beginning of the laces — the part that flexes a lot, then cracks, then tears. I only get 3-4 months out of a pair of safety shoes because of that, the cracking and tearing.

And they’re work shoes, you’re on your feet all day in them. Why can’t they incorporate an additional 1/4 in. thick sole padding layer? No matter if you get cheap or expensive safety shoes, you can’t put in double-thick replacement innersoles.

4. Gregg says:

I have found buying a size larger achived this years ago, too take up the slack I’ve been putting 2 inner soles in, so that fixes (one of) Doms’s issues as well.

5. angelo says:

I have these exact shoes. I work as a carpenter and spend alot of time bending, kneeling, working outside, and otherwise giving these shoes hell. They’ve lasted over a year so far, and the great thing about redwing is they’ll condition your shoes and give you new laces whenever you want.

I have wide, flat feet, so the king toe is essential.

6. Buster says:

These boots are very comfortable. I actually wore them all day at a convention where I literally walked several miles going from vendor to vendor. The only thing I did not like about them initially is that the steel toe part barely rubbed the top of my big toe. Inever got a blister but my big toe was a little sore until built up callouses. Which did not take long. They wear like tennis shoes and I where them everyday.

7. bert says:

ive been wearing king toes since 2007. on my third pair now. love em.