TM has covered stubby* drivers before (e.g., 2/10/07, 7/10/09, and 7/14/09), and their usefulness when just nothing else will fit. Now Wiha has five new stubby 6-In-1 bit sets. The bits are stored in the “Ergo Soft Grip” handle and the overall length, with a bit inserted in the ΒΌ” SS holder, is just 2.5″. Bit sets include Torx model 38045 (T8, T10, T15, T20, T25, and T30), security Torx model 38047 (same sizes), ball hex model 38056 (1/8″, 9/64″, 5/32″, 3/16″, 7/32″, and 1/4″), slotted/Phillips/square model 38048 (4.5, 6.5, P#1, P#2, square #1, and square #2), and, pictured above, slotted/Phillips/pozi model 38043 (4.5, 6.5, P#1, P#2, pozi #1, and pozi #2).

Depending on the type of bits, street pricing runs from a little under $15 to around $25.

What’s your take on these versions? Do you prefer these changeable-bit types, or would you rather have fixed-bit drivers?

Stubby 6-in-1 Multi-Bit Driver Sets [Manufacturer’s Site]
Wiha 38043 Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Wiha 38056 Via Amazon [What’s This?]

*I must have some major brain-finger disconnect when it coming to typing “stubby” as I am constantly typing “stuffy” instead.

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Wiha Stubby 6-In-1 Sets

1. shopmonger says:

wow i have one i got for 3-4$ and i love it. ratcheting is great for when you are under a dash….

ShopMonger

2. Tom C says:

I have a a cheap 99 cent one that has a bit holder that also fits in the handle. I replaced most of the bits with better ones an added pozidrive bits. It lives in my ski pack tool kit.

3. Jerry says:

This looks like a good tool to toss in a pocket if you need such a device. I have looked around at these things and there are a lot of companies making similar items – most are a bit bigger (length) though. Also, a lot do not have bits or bit storage. I like Tom C’s idea of the el cheapo stocked with your own bits. We all have a bunch of the bits that we regularly use most and that is the ones we want in our drivers.

4. mattk says:

I use Wiha brand screwdrivers at work and love them.

5. heywood j says:

I would recommend getting one of these over something much cheaper; Wiha makes superior bits and many of their tools are superior to others as well.

I spent a lot of time looking around for an American manufacturer that made decent screwdrivers and was very disappointed; it seems almost none of the U.S. manufacturers make decent drivers anymore.

6. Chris Ball says:

Heywood, If you will settle for Canada I’ve always liked my Picquics http://www.picquic.com/pro.html. Mind you I may be a bit biased since they are a local company.

The website is pretty weak though, they don’t even have their teeny turner stubbies on the site.

7. KoKo the Talking Ape says:

I love replaceable tip screwdrivers. The tip is the part that wears out. Replace the tip, and you have a new tool. And worn-out screwdrivers suck. Also you can pick up crazy torx or square drive tips easily and cheaply.

Once I had a problem with a stubby. This one had a regular hex bit holder like you use in drills, and it just slid into a plastic handle with a hex hole. That’s fine, but the handle was made out of soft plastic, which deformed from the torque and let the bit holder spin in its hole. Worthless. I have others which are made from fiber-reinforced plastic, and they work great.