No, not that kind of file… I’m talking about file folders here, and I like these erasable file labels. I’ve been trying to update and organize my various shop projects, manuals, and notes so I can actually find something without spending a month of Sundays looking. The labels are a polymer that can be written on with a Sharpie® permanent — on most stuff except these labels, apparently — pen (any color), and erased, again and again and again if necessary, using one of those vinyl erasers like a Pentel Clic. I can grab an old beat-up folder with an illegible tab, slap one of these labels on it, and re-use it for years.

The $9.99 WSK40 starter kit, shown above, is for third-cut folders, and comes with 80 white 3.44″×0.59″ labels, a black Sharpie® fine point marker, and a LabelOnce™ permanent ink eraser. LabelOnce™ has a variety of different-sized labels for hanging file folders, ring binders, storage boxes, and more.

LabelOnce™ [Manufacturer’s Site]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to Shop File Organization

1. BarelyFitz says:

Bah… get a label maker instead.

2. ttabob says:

too pricey…….5 dollars max. but good idea unless the label smears with my thumb.

3. Old Coot says:

I’m guessing: 1) Ink will smear, 2) Ink will not erase completely, and 3) the labels will fall off sooner rather than later.

4. Blind says:

It’s hard to say too pricey because that’s the starter kit that comes with the pen and the eraser. They don’t have a price on just the refills.

that said, it still seems to be too pricey. I think I’d rather with just the folders and masking tape or the folders with tab inserts.

5. Dot says:

if you’ll tear yourself away from the garage for a minute, and step into my kitchen, you will find that these labels are just dandy for applying to plastic containers, identifying refrigerated and frozen leftovers.

6. Toolhearty says:

Dot Says:
    …you will find that these labels are just dandy for applying to plastic containers, identifying refrigerated and frozen leftovers.

Sharpie + masking tape. Cheap, easy.

7. Andrew says:

I used to use these about 10 years ago when they made these for 3.5″ floppy disks.

They work great and don’t smear at all. They are really a nice product. I’m going to have to order some. I had no idea they were still around. Any permanent marker works fine and erases only with the eraser.

8. Mike says:

I discovered 3M Post-It Labeling and Cover Up Tape a long time ago. It comes in rolls of various widths similar to clear tape. I tear off a piece, write my label on the tape, and stick it where needed. It peels off when you are done with it, with no sticky mess. If you handle it a lot it sometimes curls on the edges, but otherwise it sticks and stays. I use it to paste notes to the edge of my computer screen bezel. It’s great for labeling memory/hard drive configurations on the sides of machines. I keep a roll of inch wide and 1/3 inch wide tape in my desk. The 3M numbers are 658 and 652. It also acts as a cover-up/white out when you want to cover up part of a document before scanning or copying.

9. Chris says:

One thing I’ll mention here that some may not know. I didn’t for too long. Sharpie comes off with alcohol. On surfaces with texture it can be hard to get the ink out of the crevices but on smooth, non porous surfaces erasing is no problem with something you likely have at hand. This isn’t so useful for paper file folders.

10. Brau says:

Hmmm. If a “permanent marker” can be erased … is it really permanent?

FYI: You can also remove permanent marker from shiny surfaces by scribbling over it with a whiteboard (erasable) pen.

11. Chet says:

How about using a pencil?