The Make blog recently had pictures of Ian Ross’ shop (his “sanctuary”) and workbench(es). Ian, from Australia, works on a variety of things such as restoring vintage engines and fans and constructing Nixie tube or radio projects. His shop contains some 30-years’ worth of collecting discarded electronic devices and salvaged items for projects and kinetic sculptures. In the back, next to that gray cabinet on the right, is his main workbench.

This bench, with some Nixie-tube test equipment, also has a flat-screen “telly” and a surplus dental-exam light for working with small devices. It may be a little crowded and chaotic, but it does look downright cozy.

Tagged with:

11 Responses to There’s A Bench In There Someplace

1. Old Coot says:

What a cool place; I’d pay admission just to snoop around in there for an hour.

2. Toolhearty says:

Guy has nice taste in test equipment. Those 7000 series Tektronix scopes are classics (Tek still sells one model, last time I checked anyway) and I wish I still had my TM500 crate-o’-modules at work.

3. Toby says:

I could never stand a shop that messy!

4. Jerry says:

Wow! No way could I stand my shop to be such a mess. I’m one of those “a place for everything and everything in its place” guys. It looks like this poor guy may have more projects than he has time for. I suppose the plus side would be that his other half wouldn’t be brave enough to come looking for him!

5. Jon says:

No one is looking at it like he does. Everything is in it’s place. If he knows where everything is, and can navigate the shop, more power to him. Plus, my basement work room looks like that some days.

6. browndog77 says:

The clutter I could deal with, maybe even find some comfort there! I am a little concerned about the (seemingly)over-loaded powerstrips & receptacles visible on the bench. How likely is it that more than one circuit is involved here? Not too, in my estimation. Hope he watches the loads on it, if it is only one.

7. mattk says:

Is that a mig welder I see hanging from the ceiling? I think the most awesome part is tool outlines one his pegboard. Proving that he at least had the intention of getting organized…. my shop looks the same until I cannot handle it anymore than there’s a big day long cleaning…

8. mr. man says:

I think we all work in or know of a shop environment in this state of nirvana. To me, it’s as important to see the quality of a product that is produced there.

9. johnnyp says:

Just remember ” only a sick mind has a clean desk “, but !! What is with the fans, I did see on “Pickers” that brass bladed fans a worth some cake.

10. Install says:

Ambulance personnel refer to a person like this as “hoarders”.

11. Christian517 says:

Wow…. just wow… That place looks so much fun. Neat!