If you’re looking for a nice, daily-carry Stockman, you might enjoy this Gerber. And Amazon’s currently offering it for just $20.10 — about $5 to $10 less than we find it normally priced elsewhere. Like virtually all Stockman-pattern knives, this one includes a large clip-point blade, plus a smaller drop-point and sheepsfoot. Unusually, this Stockman includes a lock-back, though we suspect only the clip point locks. (If you own one and know for sure, drop us a line.)

Though originally meant for trimming sheep hooves, the sheepsfoot blade works beautifully for slicing open boxes or performing surgery on a model decal. We’re particularly fond of the clip-point for cutting a hot-dog in half at the stadium. And everyone knows how useful the drop-point can be. Plus, the stag gives it a rustic appearance, which often appeals to us for general-use knives.

Of course, Sean will disagree. He’s not a fan of multi-blades for common carry, preferring instead a simple single that’s smaller, yet offers a larger blade. Incredibly, he’s convinced me to do the same. (I commonly carried a Stockman for years before I met him.) But I’ll still always picture a Stockman when I think “pocket knife” because my father carried one.

Gerber Stockman Lock-Back Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Dealmonger: Gerber 3-Blade Stag Stockman for $20

1. steve says:

I don’t know if I’d be able to enjoy that style of knife knowing it was probably made in China or something (being Gerber). In my opinion, something classy like that needs to be made in America, or it looses it’s charm.

2. Eddie says:

I have a knife similar to this one that belonged to my Grandfather. It only has 2 blades. It says Primble on it.

It has some rust spots on it. What is the best way to clean these blades?

3. Nick says:

I clean old pocketknife blades with 0000 steel wool, from the blade edge toward the spine.

4. AggieMike says:

I carry a yellow cv stockman made by Case everyday. It’s the best knife i’ve ever owned. Gets me through the day and the bright yellow color means if i drop it in the grass or in my truck it’s really easy to find. Case knives are also made in the USA.

5. buckshot says:

I’ve got an American made Buck and a Taiwanese made Kabar. Both are 3″ blade lockbacks and were the same price. The Taiwanese is noticeably better made, fits better and is finished better. Were its made matters less to me than quality and price.

6. cole says:

the large clippoint is a lockback. the other two are not but once pulled out will stay there until closed. i know i have one.