I know we’ve mentioned Taunton’s Fine Woodworking magazine archive before, but as each year’s updated version comes out and we receive the inevitable promotion emails, we always wonder: How does the magazine stay in business when you can buy the huge archive so reasonably?

Seriously. 208 issues would include enough projects and tips to keep you happy in the wood shop for many years, if not the rest of your natural life. And though $150 can be hard to dig up, consider this: A single year’s subscription (in the US and Canada) will run you $35, and that gets you just seven issues. That’s just under $5/issue as their real price is one of those just-under-the-dollar numbers we automatically round up on Toolmonger.

Order ’em in digital form on DVD and you’re looking at less than $0.75/issue. Plus, you can perform searches without digging around in a pile — or wondering if you finally threw out that issue because you needed the shelf space back.

Anyway, regardless of the future of paper magazines, this still seems like a killer deal to us, especially for the younger crowd which probably won’t get access to the December 1975 issue any other way.

2009 Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive DVD [Taunton]

8 Responses to 7 Issues: $35. 208 Issues: $150

1. SCWetherbee says:

The Taunton site says “99.9% of content” on one DVD. I’m curious as to what’s missing, maybe the advertising? About ten years ago, I received as a gift, the complete National Geographic on DVD from 1898 to 1998. 100 years, 1200 issues. It takes up about a dozen discs or so, plus six or eight for all the map supplements. When they put that together, they didn’t skip a thing, front cover to back cover for all the issues, but with no advertising, there was no fluff to get rid of.

2. Dave P says:

Subscribe for two or three years, and you’ll get dang near every article they could possibly write about woodworking.

The pictures change, but the content is pretty well stagnant.

3. Chris says:

SCWetherbee: Uh, NatGeo has plenty of advertising. I have about 30 years of the dead-tree version in the basement and it is chock-full of (now hilarious) car ads, among other things. Not as bad as some magazines are, but there’s definitely advertising in it that’s presumably missing from your DVD set.

cl

4. fred says:

I tend to look at Fine Homebuilding a bit more than this magazine – but find it (Taunton I think) a bit preachy sometimes – which is a laugh since they often add an article or two about techniques or material that I wouldn’t call “fine”. Overall, however, the more you read the more you can learn – so I might just buy this DVD set – or better yet hint about it as a birthday present.

5. Aaron says:

I currently have a subscription to FWW and I’m looking for other mags to get, any opinions?

6. TomB says:

That is a pretty good deal. I wish ShopNotes had something like that. Is there even a digital version of ShopNotes?

7. SCWetherbee says:

Chris,

Well I’m feeling a bit sheepish, I just had a look at what’s sitting on the coffee table and you’re right, full of crap. That shows how much I actually read them, my wife is the one that subscribes, I just read an article now and then. I wanted the old set for the historical reports on what happened, when it happened. But as I said, it is all there page 1 to page whatever, with nothing left out.

8. miss frannie says:

Shop Notes, Woodsmith, Family Handyman, Wood, and Classic Car are my favs. These used to be good But I do not care for them anymore, Woodworkers Journal, Workbench, and Popular Woodworking.