Chain pliers let you open and close links in chandelier chain without damaging them. Just why would you want to open and close chandelier chain links? To change the length of the chain, of course.

Westinghouse makes the pictured pliers from malleable iron and gives them spring-loaded handles. A pair will cost you anywhere from $10 to $20.

Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Chain Pliers

1. Cameron says:

Now this is a tool that I didn’t know existed, but would love to have. I don’t often mess with decorative chains, but when I have, I usually chew ’em up pretty good with a couple of pairs of pliers, and I never get the links closed up nice.

2. DaveH says:

If you use two pair of smooth jaw pliers and open the link sideways, it is much easier to return the link to it’s original position. When returning the ends of the link toward each other, go just a little beyond center and then when you let go, they will center up again.

3. John Seiffer says:

Dave – thanks for that tip. Now if I can only remember it next time I need to do this.

They are a very cool idea and one I’ve never seen before. However, I don’t think I’ll ever do enough stuff with chandeliers to buy one of these now that we don’t have rent properties anymore.

I must say that the most curious thing about it is that on amazon it is frequently bought together with a book – by JK Rowling called The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Dunno what makes them go together.

4. fred says:

Our inventory says that we have 3 sets of these marked “Yorkville Industries #2153 – and being carried at an original cost of $10.68 (1986) total for the 3 of them or $3.56 each. I guess that $20 is about right given the intervening 24 years of inflation. Ours were likely made in the USA. I’m not sure if anyone is using them. What I do know is that we always carry several “S’ hooks with us to hitch-up hanging lamps to get them out of the way on jobs.

5. Jupe Blue says:

I just use pliers and a screwdriver. Hard to see scratches on the links when they are 8-14 feet in the air.

6. David says:

It pays,to have the right tool. These pliers do a nice clean installation. With no fussing around with channel locks and a piece of romex sheathing. Its worth the 20 bucks. Plus you can play whats that tool and,stump all your friends. If you are a professional this is the way. So buy one you hack!!! sincerely david h. E1 houseman electric,llc!!!!!