The Make blog used the above picture to point to mtneer_man’s Flickr page with 47 photos of the different workbenches he’s had. It’s quite an assortment, and very nicely organized (although I do wonder about that little bench or desk elevated by concrete blocks on the right). A geo-physicist, he lives in rural Oklahoma, has four — !!! — workshops, several workbenches (“…dirty work, clean work, electronics work, photography, automotive…”), and even sub-workbenches — would those be sous-benches? — for “sharpening, grinding, glueing…” There are many more picture sets on his Flikr page documenting some of his other projects (e.g., workshop building, shelves, tools…) and travels.

Time for a little workshop and workbench envy?

Workbench [Flickr: mtneer_man]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to Workbench Envy

1. Cameron says:

Too neat!

I’m lucky enough to have three workbenches in my house.
    1. In the garage for auto (restoring a VW), larger wood projects.
    2. Basement workbench for woodworking and home improvement projects.
    3. electronics bench for restoring tube radios, other smaller scale projects. This one’s desk height to sit at.

All three benches pretty much covered in crap, leaving me a small work area. I must start cleaning…

2. Yadda says:

What the heck are you doing with a geiger counter? True enough I would have one too if the opportunity/price was right, but I don’t know what I would do with it.

3. Brau says:

Definitely too neat. Truly busy people have projects clamped requiring curing for weeks, a disassembled thingamajig awaiting a back-ordered part, and others stacked up and waiting. Unless this is a cleaned-up-photo-op, this shop indicates to me someone has the luxury of working on one small project at a time while spending at least as much time cleaning up.

4. Choscura says:

These are awesome setups. I wish I had space for this.

5. ambush says:

Bring it in the next time you break a bone.

6. johnnyp says:

Like the air lines on the ceiling, but not the hose, they are a pain. For outlets I have wire mold mounted on the wall behind the bench, 12 20a outlets over 6′, pricey but an easy install. Had a similar configuration of outlets at old house, constantly bending over to find them.
    As far as cleanup, its simple take 10 minutes when you done working. I found doing this is whole lot easier than waiting 2 or 3 months. I got a funny feeling this shop is a little bigger than what we see in the frame

7. Gary says:

I must be really busy then. One bench is covered in tools and small project parts, the other is covered in boards from my current large furniture project.

8. Brian says:

What brand of bench is the one in the center?

9. James says:

A workspace that neat is a sure sign of a diseased mind,

10. Toolaremia says:

I think the shop owner must have a touch of OCD. And I think it works for them, no joke. They appear to have lots of duplicates tools and implements, and lots of nick-knacks and doo-dads. All of it exceptionally well organized. Too well organized. Definitely OCD. Wish I had a little bit of it as my shop is a wreck. ;-(

11. Wow, what a beautiful shop. Mouth watering. I just posted a tour of mine HERE earlier this week.