Apparently this sharpening tool has been around under various names since 2004 or earlier, but I just recently found out about it — I know: if I don’t start paying attention, I’m going to have to turn in my Toolmonger badge. The 12″ tall, 8″ diameter JoolTool™ (a.k.a. Ninja™) is a variable speed (500 to 5,000 RPM) dry sharpening system that has a 17° forward tilt for easy use, a vacuum port, and several accessories allowing it to sharpen, polish, grind, lap, sand, and deburr. Highland Woodworking and Japan Woodworker both have a basic package (inc. the JoolTool™, an instructional DVD, a backpad, a buff/polish felt wheel, a small block of honing compound, a variety of different grit discs for various materials, and more) available for $279.95.

Have any Toolmongers used one of these? What did you think? How does it compare to something like the Work Sharp? What’s your preferred tool for sharpening?

JoolTool™ [Manufacturer’s Site]

Tagged with:

22 Responses to Hot Or Not: JoolTool

1. shopmonger says:

I have not used one of these, but my preferred method is still and old fashion fine stone grinder, some wet stones, and a good strop. I like the feeling of being able to sharpen my tools without one of these. I know they would be fast, but i like modifying grinders, and making my own jigs to suit my style of sharpening. I have one grinder that faces normal, and had a rough stone and a wire wheel on it. and then one that has all gear removed, and faces backwards, and then i made a tilting plat to match up to it, this has fine stone and a buffing wheel with polishing compound on it, works great for my turning tools, my plane irons, my chisels, and knifes and scissors. Also works great for my mower blades.

kind of old school, but so are the guys who taught me to sharpen…
    ShopMonger

p.s scary sharp, (glass plate with high grit sandpaper) works great, nice cheap way to get started, then when you want to upgrade get a surface plate of granite for $20-30……great for chisels, and plane irons, and even scissors…

2. Chris says:

How on earth does this thing work?

cl

3. David Bryan says:

Chris, you turn it over and stick it in your milkshake. Better to do it outside.

• Jean says:

Seriously? This machine was developed for jewelry and stone work. Yes you can use to sharpen your tools as well. I have seen it demonstrated on polishing jewelry without disturbing prongs, but I have also seen it used to grind and polish rough semi-precious gemstones as in Agate, rough Ethiopian Opal. It is so simple. If you understand what grits you need to polish precious metals and the grits needed to cut and polish rocks, then this machine is what you need. With the flex shaft you can easily carve rocks. Quickly and easily.

4. Blair says:

There is a video demonstration on their website listed under media.

It seems to be an interesting idea, but I don’t think I will be picking one up soon, as there are so many options to sharpen that I already have in the shop.

5. Jon M says:

Too bad the manufacturer didn’t have someone outside review the website before launch. It is absolutely unclear how the product works until you dig down a few pages.

6. Carl says:

The WorkSharp products seem like a better solution (especially for straight-edged tools) at a lower cost.

7. seda says:

i have used this tool.

it seems really scary at first, but it soon became my best friend. i can do anything with it like shape a knife edge ring or any type of special shank, with some careful maneuvering, i can even bring out the roundness of the shank. of course it does not replace a traditional lap, as it is a little limited in the flexibility and movement (all the sandpaper is stuck on the hard plastic) but it really does help to have around the shop. in fact, unless there was a ring needing very very special attention, i could take a ring from clean up all the way to polish (then rouge lightly with a flex shaft or other polishing machine) … very very helpful!

8. seda says:

by the way, the lady doing the video is supposed to be hot, and is totally not, and doesn’t really use the tool very well. there’s a slight movement in the hand that is missing, and of course no one could work detail with the manicure she’s sporting. lol big time

• Jean says:

Hot or not that is not what matters, she is the developer of the whole system. She grew up in a jewelry shop and was a full jeweler at a very young age. Take the time to learn about the whole system and you can lap, even on the kitchen table for beginners. You can do just about anything for metal and stone sharpening and polishing. You might check out Rio Grande or JTV.

• Jennifer Runnestrand says:

Does every woman you see have to be hot to pass the video demonstration? What do you look like, a 10 or a 3? How about intelligence, successful and raking in the money?

9. Maura says:

I reviewed this tool in 2008. I am in no way affiliated with Jooltool

10. Jenny says:

I have a jool tool and have used it lots. Mostly for lapidary cab working and metalworking. It does a wonderful job and takes about half the time the ancient lap machines and hand tools do. Why don’t you people check it out before you go bashing it.

• nasrin says:

would you please guide me to the right jooltool? If i purchased one that is for metal and plastics, would it also do the gem polishing and buffing with the right buffing/sanding discs? I am trying to buy the kind that id for lapidary and they all seem to be out of stock but there are the ones which are advertised for clay, plastic and metal. would that work just as good with the right buffing disc? are the discs interchangeable?
      Thank you for your kind reply.

11. Kayjay says:

I want to do cabochons and flat lapping. I need something light and portable. Is this my best option? I will not be sharpening tools or knives on it, just stones, but I need it to be able to work with sometimes very hard stones. Suggestions?

12. Peter says:

This tool was invented by The I. Shor company over half a century ago, in the early 1950’s, for the jewelry manufacturing industry. The industrial version hasn’t changed much since then and you can still buy them (at about the same price as this consumer version) from any jeweler’s supply house.

13. Lesley says:

I just received mine (startup version) and still a bit confused… Help me here.. Do I need to purchase a whole lot of backpads and cushions? Does it adhere to the spindle and do I need to purchase a lot of spindles… It sounded so easy on the video until I receive my package

14. Toni says:

Hi Annie.
    I use a Dremel atm and I’m still pretty new to gem polishing. I can’t seem to get them shiny with the Dremel. Could you reccomend a starter pack for me the lapidary polishing kind. I’ve seen a Jooltool on eBay for sale. Or I might buy one new depending on the cost. Can you send me the info please. Thankyou

15. Maisie Statham says:

I am Contemplating purchasing a Jool Tool for my polymer clay jewelry work. It has been reviewed on beadsandbeading.com and looks terrific. I can’t believe sceptics can be so nasty with their comments. If they don’t like it then don’t buy it but leave enterprising people alone and get a life.

My question to Anie is what would I need all-up for my handmade jewelry purposes please?

Maisie

16. Kristín Sveinsdóttir says:

Hi Annie
    is the JOOLTOOL 220 volt
    and dose it have a CE mark approval

17. Kirk von kraut says:

I bought my Jooltool to sharpen knives and my lathe chisels in 2001. I absolutely love this tool. I have been asked by all my friends to use it to sharpen their knives, chisels, scissors etc. it sharpens and polishes to a razor quality. Amazing tool!