Forget cutting your sticks one piece at a time; with a little bit of help from an A-daptor kit*, you can turn your Skil or Bosch 7-1/4″ worm drive saw into a 10-1/4″ saw that can take a big 3-3/4″ bite out of your stock — enough to gang cut a mess of 2x4s.

Big Foot Tools sells kits that fit Skil Type 14,15,16, and 17 saws, the Bosch 1677M, and the Mag Type¬† 1. Their adapter kit ships complete with a 10-1/4″, 36-tooth carbide blade. Using the supplied instructions it supposedly only takes 15-30 minutes to convert your saw.

You’ll pay about $300 for the kit.

*(Thanks to the Man in Black for this great song)

Saw Adapter Kit [Big Foot Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to A Big Foot For A Little Saw

1. fred says:

We’ve been using the 12 inch variety on Skil 77’s for many years. Great for gang cutting sheets. We bought a 16+ inch Makita some years ago and found it a bit unwieldy for this use – but better on big framing. We also bought a Milwaukee 10-1/4 sidewinder – which we use to cut 4×4 s – for decking etc. We still like the heft of the bigfoot better for gang cutting. We might buy a newer model Makita – which we hear good things about for cutting glue lams. Anyone using the newer Makita (blue color scheme versus the older gold one) care to comment?

2. Dustin B says:

“I built it one piece at a time, An’ it didn’t cost me a dime…”

R.I.P. Johnny Cash

3. Jerry says:

Sneak those parts out in your big lunch box!

4. johnnyp says:

First time I saw a worm drive was in the mid 70’s it was a Black & Decker. Then it became a Skil . The saw I own is a Craftsman . Same saw as my buddy’s 70’s. Heavy, can’t kill it, love it . I paid 160 for it 20 years ago best money I ever spent. Went through 2 home owner saws before I smartened up . Toolmonger this a perfect example of another one of my posts

5. paganwonder says:

Don’t know about the new makita but I heavily endorse the Bosch version.

6. fred says:

@ paganwonder

Unless I’m missing something – Bosch doesn’t market a 16-5/16 diameter saw like the Makita 5402NA

7. Aaron says:

@ fred

We have a new Makita 5402na (16-5/16″) Beam saw, and live it. It never quits. I never have owned one of the older models, but I imagine that they must be quite a bit heavier with all metal- this new one weighs enough already!