If there was ever a product crying out to be in the Hot Or Not category, it has to be this one. Lee Valley has 25′ and 50′ versions of this reinforced PVC hose with embedded heating cables that will “keep water flowing in temperatures as low as -42° F (-41° C).” When the temperature drops below 45° F (7° C), a built-in thermostat turns on the heating cables. The hose has a 5-1/2′ grounded power cord at the faucet-connection end, is CUL/UL approved, and also approved by the FDA for use with potable water. The ends have heavy-duty brass couplings and bend restrictors to prevent kinking. The 25′ version, which draws 180W, costs $99, and the 50′ version, which draws 360W, costs $149.

Hmmm, water and electricity in one handy hose. But I suppose if you have to get out and water the snow when it’s below zero, this could be your solution. What do you think?

Heated Hose [Lee Valley]

Tagged with:

22 Responses to Hot Or Not? Heated Hose

1. Pepster says:

I can imagine a dozen uses for this.

All of them are pranks.

2. bc says:

Great idea I tried to make one using roof de-icer wrapped around a regular hose . it worked for one day and was so hot the brass coupling fell off. This is a good item for those of us with horses and no water source other than an outdoor fawcett. It is a real pain coiling up the hose after each use and bringing it inside.

3. Erich says:

It’s a nice idea but it seems to be magical as well. The pictures show an un-insulated hose bib with the pipe exposed, seems that would likely freeze. Then in the in use photo, the hose is spraying water even though it is not connecterd to the hose bib. Magical I say, water out side in the winter without the need of a hose bib.

4. John says:

Would be great for flooding an outdoor rink.

5. jeff says:

@John- Especially if you could boost the juice a little when the water was running in order to heat the water a little. Hot water works awesome for flooding rinks.

6. rob says:

@Erich- Good catch.

7. BigEdJr says:

While I lived in Central PA I hooked my hose up to the hotwater outlet in the Laundry room to wash the dirt and muck off my car. Water had frozen in the hose…(because this So Cal Native forgot to bring it into the garage). It worked pretty well once the water in the hose melted.

8. Chris says:

I see this being usefull for cold weather RVers

9. Gough says:

At our summer cabin, the water system drains to a pair of outside hose bibbs, one hot, one cold. We’ve found it so handy to have easy access to hot water that we had a hot-water hose bibb added to the outside of our house. One of the best investments ever. We also added a mixing wye so we can adjust the temp. We’ve used it for washing the dogs, washing the car, cleaning stuff from the garden, cleaning up painting gear, etc., etc. As BigEd pointed out, you do need to bring the hose in between uses.

10. John says:

When it’s -40F in Fairbanks, I have seen hot coffee freeze before it hits the ground. Could be useful in certain temps though. I would be careful spraying hot water onto a cold windshield to defrost it. Might develop a large crack!

11. David says:

I wonder if it would work to heat up a swimming pool?

12. Discobubba says:

I could see this being semi-useful. This winter in New England has been pretty mild and it’d be nice to at least rinse off the salt (no sand) from my car they spray around here. Of course, it’d have to be on a warm enough day so it wouldn’t refreeze.

The big issue is the cost! Yikes. For that price I think it’d be cheaper to do what Gough mentioned and just pipe out a Hot water bib, even better with a mixing valve. The other option that I think I’ve done once is to just hook up the hose to the outlet on the water heater in my basement. If ya have a long enough hose, you can run it outside no prob, just adjust the thermostat to a lower temperature.

13. Toby says:

To John: I call shenanigans on the coffee freezing…pics or didn’t happen!

14. Stan says:

New here but here is an example of water freezing before it hits the ground.

15. BJN says:

I have some brick contractors coming tomorrow to start repointing my failed mortar on my house. They need a source of water to mix mortar and they work in below-freezing weather (using heated blankets to warm the fresh mortar work). Might be useful, but then so would a two-foot long hose that doesn’t hold water to freeze.

16. Pezdad says:

The mythbusters proved that “hot water freezing before it hits the ground” to be a myth. Of course, you could believe a youtube video where a guy has some dry ice that he pretends is “boiling water”…

17. Brau says:

Don’t you just love advertising promo shots that show the user connecting a heated hose to a 4 foot long uninsulated/unprotected copper water pipe.

18. Jim says:

If hot water, or any water, cannot freeze before it hits the ground, then how does a snow making machine work? I assumed they spray liquid water into the air and it crystalizes before it hits the ground. The temperature gradient, size or atomization of the water spray and the time in the air would be contributing factors. This would work with water at any temperature. If you dropped boiling water off a 10 story building in -60F, I am very confident it would freeze before it hit the ground!

19. Zathrus says:

@Pezdad:

What on earth are you talking about? They did no such thing.

Water most certainly can freeze before it hits the ground. You can go test it yourself on a sufficiently cold day (around 0 or below F).

Go somewhere really cold and you can do some spectacular tricks with freezing water.

20. Nate says:

I could use this right now! As Discobubba said, it’d be a good idea to rinse the salt and crud off the underside of the car. Last time the brakes needed work, I got in over my head and took it to a mechanic, who said the corrosion was surprisingly bad and that I should get a carwash with underbody rinse more often.

However, even the short one is pretty expensive. I might just go with my earlier idea, which is a fitting at the supply end so I can use the air compressor to blow the remaining water out of the hose after each use.