A cable ripper is a simple tool with one function: removing the outer jacket on ROMEX and other electrical wires. One of Ideal’s versions, the Lil’ Ripper Stripper, incorporates some other commonly-used tools to let you rip, clip, strip, loop, and twist with one tool.

Besides ripping the outer jacket of ROMEX, the tool also clips it. It also can be used to strip insulation from wires, form loops in wires for screw terminals, and get a better grip on wire nuts with wings. The grip is injection molded elastomer and a measurement scale is molded into the side for measuring the correct amount of wire to strip.

You can pick up Ideal’s Lil Ripper Stripper for about $6.

Lil’ Ripper Stripper [Ideal]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Lil’ Ripper Stripper [Sears]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to Lil’ Ripper Stripper

1. fred says:

at the other end of the spectrum (from “Lil’) are some of the Seatek products that I see our electrical subs use:

2. Jerry says:

I like the multi-functions of this Lil’ tool. And for six bucks, you wouldn’t have to use it a lot to get your money’s worth. Guess I’ll have to get one to toss into the electrical tool belt.

3. Mark says:

Got one, Love It!
    I only do electrical work around the house (parents, inlaws, you know how that goes I’m sure). But this makes things SO much easier.

4. Dave P says:

Not to be confused with the Lil’ Stripper Ripper, which is a pair of handcuffs and a butcher knife.

5. Jayce says:

Dave,

Do you know if they make a Lil’ Stripper Ripper tool that can be used on regular or full sized strippers, or do they only make the one for midget strippers?

6. Bill Clay says:

Have one too. Works great and it’s cheap!

7. Brice says:

I got one of these hoping it would be useful for stripping twisted pair jackets off. Not so much. For six bucks, I’m not torn up over it.

8. MattK says:

For romex I really prefer a square blade knife. Got a couple from Klein with scissors, and a sheath. The scissors are set up for twisted pair stripping as well.

9. MattK says:

sorry about the bad link. You can just look at Kleins web page.

10. David Bryan says:

The splicing knives or the Victorinox electrician knife blade work pretty well. I like the Klein knives with the little slitting blade that has a point that sticks out to slide under the cable jacket. I also use a seam ripper on all kinds of cable, and I like the old stamped-steel romex strippers from Ideal that are open on the side, too. Ideal used to make a romex-stripping plier that just had a fang to slit the cable, and I really that little old thing. I have one of the Seatek Strip-alls and a German ring cutter, but I generally just use them on round cable.