Until January 24, 2010, Lee Valley has an introductory price of $13.50 (the regular price will be $18.50) for the Thread I.D.™ Nut and Bolt Indentifier*. It includes a plate with 28 tapped holes: 10 National Coarse (1-64 to 1/4-20), 10 National Fine (1-72 to 1/4-28), and 8 Metric Coarse (M1.6 to M6.0) that you can use to identify bolts, as shown in the far right picture below. But wait, there’s more: it also comes with knurled-head bolts in the same 28 sizes, so, as shown in the far left picture below, you can use these to identify tapped-hole threads in other materials, and, by flipping the plate over, as shown in the middle picture below, use them to identify nuts. Last, but not least, all this comes in a fitted wooden box.

I’ve seen a variety of bolt and nut sizers/identifiers, but this is the first combo kit I’ve come across, and I think it looks like a handy addition to the toolbox. What’s your opinion?

*Made, as you can see in the picture, by Chestnut Tools. However, their web site redirects you the to Lee Valley site.

Thread I.D.™ [Lee Valley]

8 Responses to Dealmonger: Nut And Bolt Identifier $13.50

1. fred says:

Rockler is selling slightly different sets (inch and metric) that do both external and internal threads:

BTW – as you note – I think that this Chestnut Tool company is a subsidiary of Lee Valley

2. shotdog says:

I’ve been dealing with Lee Valley for over 4 years. Their products are A1 and their service is faster any other catalog outfit going. In my opinion they beat all others for quick service and top quality. sd

3. Jim says:

I think for most audiences, the size range is insufficient. Who needs metric M1.5, NF 1-72 and NC 1-64? And it only goes up to M6.0 and 1/4″. I feel a better range would start around 6/32 and go through 1/2″, and M4.0-M14 metric and include BOTH metric coarse and metric fine sizes. There are much better choices in the marketplace.

4. Pete D says:

Dang it, Toolmonger, you made me buy something again! (The Rockler offering, by the way – I can see I’ll have to rig a way to make them easy to take off the cable though…).

5. Mr P says:

This one is for nut and bolts nice inexpensive and durable good for all the common threads.

6. DC says:

There are quite a few of these out there, and can be found in most metalworking or industrial catalogs like Grainger, MSC, Travers etc.

Ruelle makes a Screw Chek’r, but it only works on bolts: http://sportys.com/ToolShop/product/8288 . It’s sold under many brands. Good for cleaning threads though.

S&W makes some nice ones: http://www.swmanufacturing.com/parts_list.asp?CAT_ID=5 . Rockford may still make this one: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5PD80. Unfortunately it does not disassemble, but you can add a nut and bolt to allow for ‘remote’ use off the gauge.

This is something you can easily make yourself, and assuming you have lots of fasteners on hand already, costs very little. I did some years ago, and have found it very useful.

All you need is a board, and nuts and bolts in whatever sizes you want. Drill two sets of bolt holes. In one you attach a short bolt with a nut; the other hole can be used to determine clearance holes for bolts or anything else that requires a through hole (pipe, rope, etc.). If you need to measure something that can’t be taken to your gauge, spin the nut off and take the gauge to it (hence the short bolt).

Mine runs from #4/40 to #8/32 NC, #10 NC and NF, #12/24 (which you do see now and again), and 1/4″ through 1/2″ NC and NF. It’s easy to stack multiple layers of wood and drill through them together to crate multiple blanks.

Even simpler but less organized is just a nut and bolt with a label attached in some semi-permanent manner.

7. lens42 says:

I just bought the Lee Valley set. The threads seem to be good quality but the printing that identifies the sizes looks very cheap, like it might flake off over time. Also the first unknown thread I checked on it was not included! I have a Roper hole punch with a missing set screw that tunrs out to be 12-32. This had only 12-24 and 12-28. Like another commenter, I too think that it stops short of including some useful larger sizes. I guess for $13.50, I can’t complain, but this has not completely solved my thread ID problem as I had hoped.

8. Stan Liechty says:

HOW do I order or where do I order your nut and bolt identifier ? What is the price ?