Surfing around, I came across Homax Waste Away paint hardener. The product is used to harden the remaining paint in a can so that it can be disposed of in the garbage. Most trash collection specifically does not allow you to throw out liquid paint, so this makes the garbage man happy.

It says it works with latex and acrylic paints and stains, but it does not work with oil-based paint, which is a major drawback in our opinion. Of course I’ve always just hoarded our paint so that 10 years later the dried-out can is found at the bottom of a pile of crap in the carport, but I can see how it would be useful for someone who doesn’t have the luxury of storing useless items. It does say that it’s handy for cleaning up spills although if it’s only for water-based paint we’ve found that water works mighty well for that…

Homax paint hardener is available on Amazon, at Lowe’s, and the lowest price we found was at The Hardware City.

So is a product like this useful? Are there cheaper ways of disposing of paint besides the already-mentioned hoarding option? Let us know what you think in comments.

Homax Waste Away Paint Hardener [Manufacturer’s Site]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Homax Waste Away Paint Hardener [Lowe’s]

15 Responses to Hot or Not? Waste Away Paint Hardener

1. Toolhearty says:

Not. Just mix in some of the kitty litter you use for sopping up oil spills (or for your cat).

I’m pretty sure you’re allowed, in our area, to throw the metal can in the recycle bin once all the paint has been solidified.

2. BJN says:

I just take unused cans of unwanted paint to the local hazardous waste receiving facility (closest is at the main landfill for me). They take house paint and mix it all together to create a beige paint that’s used to cover graffiti.

3. Jerry says:

Same here in Oregon with the recycling of the old paint. Always comes out in some shade of beige. They use it to paint over graffiti and even sell it at a very low cost to folks needing some paint for their home. The paint hardener stuff has been around for a long time so must be decent or they would stop making it. Here, if you get caught dumping old paint in the garbage, you will pay a hefty fine.

4. Toolhearty says:

BJN Says:

Not an option here in Illinois. There are no permanent hazardous waste facilities (for the homeowner). Only sporadic, State-sponsored “collection days” where one goes and waits in line at the County fairgrounds on a Saturday to get rid of common household hazardous waste. I’ve got five years of oil filters from several vehicles piling up in the garage that I’ve been waiting to get rid of (missed the last collection day).

The local curbside trash/recyclable pickup service is pretty reasonable, though (at least they take motor oil).

5. Jaxx says:

Tut tut throw out paint that is not the toolmonger way! There is always something that needs a lick of paint if you have no room to store the rest!

6. Toolhearty says:

Jaxx Says:

Slap paint on stuff with no regard as to the color and it starts to look pretty redneck around the house in a hurry.

🙂

(I suppose you can just standardize on one color, say beige or olive drab, or go camo! Camo let’s you use up a bunch of colors!)

again, 🙂

7. Anon says:

Paint hardener huh? I just throw it away, always worked before.

8. ambush says:

Here we have a municipal collection facility, they will take pretty much anything, but they charge for construction debris, old sofa’s etc.
    Toolhearty, you should take your filters to a local garage, they should be willing to take them off your hands because the metal is worth something.

9. Doofus says:

What, no rivers where you lot come from?

😉

I keeeeeed! We have a local waste fac. near my house, they take paint if you have it in the can and sealed. No idea what they do with it.

10. Gough says:

I use either kitty litter or oil absorbent, whichever one is on sale. They might not work quite as fast, but they are a lot cheaper.

11. Phil says:

I’ve given old, but usable paint to folks to use in arts & crafts classes and such.

12. BC says:

I always just pop the cover open, let the paint solidify, and throw it away. HAZMAT recycling is only available once a year in our area, and it’s a major pain. I only use it for stuff like empty propane torch cylinders.

13. kyle says:

Don’t throw away propane cylinders. Drill and tap it out to make a small volume air tank.

14. Chris says:

BC: why would an empty gas cylinder (of any kind) be hazmat? It’s empty, it’s metal. That’s heading to the recycling center, ideally with its valve open.

cl

15. Casaheil says:

This product is crap. I just ended up with a gloppy mess and had to use kitty litter to get it to solidify. This stuff is overpriced and does not work nearly as well as kitty litter. I sent an email (not a flame mail) to their customer service and they didn’t event do the explaining that I was disatisfied with the product and they didn’t event have the courtesy to response. They are just preying on people who are trying to “do the right thing” for the environment. SAVE YUOR MONEY AND AVOID THIS PRODUCT!