I don’t do much work with steel studs at home (okay, I’ve never worked with steel studs anywhere, but I’ve seen them and think they’re neat) so I have not used the Wedjji from J&J Industries. It’s a door and window framing tool that allows one person to center a stud in a metal door or window frame. Based on videos on the Wedjji web site, commercial construction crews would formerly use pieces of sheetrock for this, and it was a PITA. The Wedjji, which comes in four sizes, depending on sheetrock thickness and stud dimensions, costs between $27.99 and $29.49. Each unit has 3 or 4 built-in magnets to hold it to the door or window frame. It looks like the Wedjji is a reasonable widget, and it does have a cool name.

Have any Toolmongers used this tool? Is it a good alternative to a few scrap pieces of sheetrock?

Wedjji [Manufacturer’s Site]

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Hot Or Not? The Wedjji

1. fred says:

Being more the plumber than the carpenter in my business – I’ve asked my lead carpenters what they think.
    From what I know, we do a fair bit of commercial work – hanging both wood and steel interior doors in steel studed walls. We seldom do commercial windows – with this job going to specialized contractors. These tools look to be useful to speed up steel door installation where a steel door frame is typically used. With prehung wood doors installed in steel-stud walls – we resort to a few different approaches – sometime depending on how the door will be cased and wheter the studs are U or I sections. Quite often we add wood fillers or backing to the steel stud.

2. DeadGuy says:

We built our own jigs for this – the exact same thing made from wood and steel, rather than plastic. We reinforced the edges where the door hits with steel plate because after a few uses it would wear down and the frame would wobble. I suspect these plastic ones have that same problem and wear out rather quickly.

It took me several months to figure out that I should glue some magnets on to hold it in place. Before that, we just used a stud to hold it up. I thought of the magnets because it was a PITA to haul around the whole kit.

3. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

that video was ridiculous…. I generally do all my own steel framing, doors and drywall work, and am pretty much down to a simple mark on the floor. maybe folks that specifically handle the framing end of things may see a use for this. But like most tool promo videos, if you’re doing it like the guy in the beginning, you’re doing it wrong to begin with.

4. BAD RAT says:

Looks like a pretty good tool,, a little on the expensive end,, but when it speeds up the time involved to set doors and windows, that means money saved,, especally if you are paying a journeyman carpenter 45 $ a hour,,
    The guy doing that demo , was definately not a experenced framer,, you need more than 1 clip per side of a door a or window, frame to secure them,,
    and the wall was about to fall down, I realize it was probably just for a demo,, but still ,, trying to sell a product like this,, I think they should be a little more realistic,,

5. Brandon says:

I appreciate the fact that I can come to a site like ToolMonger and hear so many great opinions, insights and industry professionals give feedback. It’s awesome! WallTools.com just started stocking the Wedjji and we are getting a lot of good feedback from our customers. I have to give props to a company like J&J Industries for taking a leap of faith and bringing such an innovation to market, as simple as it is. In my opinion, this is a “why didn’t I think of that… oh yeah, I did” type of product. Most framers have either built their own jigs, or attack the problem from a different angle. Remember when you watch the video that these guys are carpenters, not videographers.

The concept is simple, yet smart. The plastic is durable. The magnets are strong and the Wedjji fits nicely in your tool belt, bag, or box. It does the trick. As far as the price is concerned… time will tell. However, like BAD RAT said, at $45 per hour in labor it doesn’t take but a few doors to pay for itself. After that, it’s money in the bank.

It’s hot. If you want to give it a try, you can find it on our site.

6. Josh says:

I’m a commercial carpenter and I work with metal studs on a daily basis. My foreman who’s now in his 70’s had a tool similar to this made for him at a metal shop out of aluminum 30 years ago. I wish he patented his design because it’s adjustable and works on both 3-5/8 studs and 5-1/2. The tool works great and I couldn’t bring myself to using the old Sheetrock method. He guards the tool with his life though so I’m definitely considering getting my own wedjji tool and seeing how it compares. It’s definitely a time saver and makes for a very professional job.