This Whisper Drive door opener caught our attention on a Lowe’s outing a couple of weeks ago, and now it’s on sale. Marked down from $248, it’s just $188 today only. The tale of the tape: You get a 3/4 horsepower motor, a motion-detecting control panel, two 3-button remotes, a mini-remote, a wireless exterior keypad, and safety sensors. And since it’s a belt-type opener, it’s vewy, vewy, qwiet.

My favorite part is the exterior keypad, though. I never thought twice about these until Sean installed one and I realized how incredibly convenient they are. Forget your remote — or (better yet) leave it in the car that’s in the garage? Just hop out, key in your code, and you’re good to go. It’s also handy when you want to, say, loan a tool to a friend. Just give ’em the code and they can come get it without rolling you out of bed at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday.

Chamberlain 3/4 HP Whisper Drive Plus Garage Access System [Lowe’s]

8 Responses to Dealmonger: Chamberlain 3/4-HP Door Opener For $188

1. Mrten says:

Chamberlain is an icky manufacturer that tried and tries to abuse your DCMA (digital copyright millennium act) to prevent cheaper remotes from working with their products.

Stay away. Stay far, far away, because that is the only thing these people will listen to in the end.

2. Jerry says:

Wow! Someone found the sour grapes – and ate them! They really don’t want the cheaper remotes to work because then they could easily be defeated making your garage less secure.
    I built a new garage this past fall and put this opener on it. Super easy install, super quiet and works perfectly. You can find low cost replacement remotes for these quite inexpensively – although more than some of the cheesier brands – but you get what you pay for.
    If you just want a basic opener, train your kids to raise and lower the thing manually – like when you can’t find the TV remote.
    High quality materials and a lot of great features at a reasonable price. Okay – I didn’t get in on this deal and paid $214 for mine but that’s okay.

3. Jerry says:

Oh – forgot to mention another cool feature. It was mentioned that you could use the outside, wall mount panel to allow your friends to get into your garage to pick up something. Yes, you can, but a real advanced feature is that you can also program a secondary code to give them and program just how many openings that code can accept. So, your buddy can get in one time only if that is what you choose and then the code deactivates and your original code still works for you! Everyone sues everyone these days so, all that DCMA stuff really means very little.

4. Chris says:

Jerry, did you actually read that link? I wouldn’t support companies that abuse the DMCA like that, either. “Cheaper” != “less secure” or “easily defeated”; it just means “not something Chamberlain can profit from” in this case. Key quote from a legal analysis of the ruling:

“Skylink took advantage of a security vulnerability in Chamberlain’s GDO remote in order for their third party remotes to be compatible. Chamberlain than sued for, among other things, violation of the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.”

So instead of actually, you know, *fixing the security vulnerability*, Chamberlain decided the best solution was to throw lawyers at it. That’s not a behaviour I want to condone or endorse in any way, shape, or form, and it shouldn’t be something other people accept either. Not only does it *not* actually solve the problem, leaving the customer with an insecure garage door, but it stifles competition and innovation in the marketplace by discouraging third parties from developing compatible remote controls. If you want to lock your customers into using your own garage door remotes, then develop a *secure* proprietary scheme, and if someone defeats it, thank them for the free security research and develop a new one.

cl

5. Toolboss says:

I put in 800 sf of hardwood floor on the day after Thanksgiving and the following weekend, cutting all the pieces in the garage. The sawdust from that project was the final chapter on the 10 year old Genie that had served me well. Next weekend (9 days ago) I called my door guy buddy and asked for a recommendation. He pointed me to this very model, saying he is selling/installing them for $500 on new home construction.

I installed it myself, including tear-down of the old motor and track, in less than three hours. considering I wasn’t hurrying, I was impressed. New obstruction detectors, and even comes with a monitor I put in the master bedroom that shows a red light when the garage door is open. Easily programmed into the Homelink on my Suburban, best $189 home improvement I’ve done in a long time.

Most of all, as mentioned, it’s extremely quiet.

6. Jerry says:

Toolboss was quick to point out the very cool feature that I neglected to mention – the light that can be installed wherever you want to remind you that you left the door open.
    For Chris, I can only say that IMO, although the lawsuit was most likely “frivolous” in nature, it is still the same thing that so many companies do these days. Apple is likely my least favorite of those companies, by the way. Yes, cheaper remotes are possible, but cheaper isn’t always better. Too often people are suckered into cheap knock-offs that soon fail and they end up purchasing several and far exceed the cost of one good quality item.
    Anyway, I always appreciate any feedback from anything I say. Sometimes I have to back up and reverse my opinions and sometimes I just have to hold onto what I originally thought.

7. Toolboss says:

The cool part of the remote indicator light is that I neglected to mention the master bedroom is directly over the garage. Having that little light plugged in is very reassuring for my wife; we have a college age son home for the holidays, and two teen age daughters. They “occasionally” will forget to close the garage door. Thus, I have already saved myself a couple trips downstairs because I regularly get asked by a sleepy wife it the door is closed.

Additionally, let me again say how quiet this opener is. With simple steel straps for mounting to the joists, you cannot feel or hear it operating when standing directly above it in the aforementioned bedroom!

8. russ says:

had one in my last house, loved it. better than a chain in my book.