It’s time to cull a fir tree from the property for our Christmas, so I started thinking about bow saws. I have a typical bow saw, cheap and somewhat rusty, that I’ll be using to harvest (the kids around the chainsaw doesn’t seem like a good option). Looking around the internet I came upon the . What’s not to like? It looks like an excellent lever-tightening (with screw adjustment!) bow saw in an ergonomic package, made by a company known for high quality tools. The blade can pivot on its axis for difficult jobs. The lowest price we found was at Oesco, $32.00, but a saw like this is a luxury considering you can buy a cheapy bow saw for $5.00 or less.

Anyone else have a favorite bow saw they want to share?

[Manufacturer’s Site]
Bahco 333 Orchard Bow Saw [Oesco]

10 Responses to The Bow Saw I Want: Bahco 333 Orchard Saw

1. kdp says:

It’s not a bow saw, but I bought a Fiskars Woodzig pruning saw a few years ago and continue to be impressed. It cuts on the pull (maybe they all do, I don’t know) and moves chips like you wouldn’t believe.

2. gillsans says:

I just bought a Sven Saw folding bow saw. I used one camping when I was in scouts. It worked well in my memory and I wasn’t disappointed when I used it on my Christmas tree. It might not be the best ergonomically, but it folds down to 1.5″x15″ (or so) and weighs next to nothing. I do wish that I got the larger size though. It’s also a little expensive at $25-$30.

3. Blair says:

I have an old Ace brand lever tightening bow saw hanging in my shop. No swivel option, or screw adjustment, and no padding for the hands (use gloves for that).

All in all, nothing special, other than I was with my dad when he bought it 40 years ago to cut up a walnut trunk that had been left in front of the house when he had it built. I still have a nice scar from that sucker jumping out of the kerf in mid stroke(back to wearing gloves, dumb kid).

And although I no longer have a live Christmas tree, each spring i make sure the old saw gets some “cutting time” while clearing brush, and it still does the job. And i know the old man looks down and smiles.

4. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

I’ve been a big fan of bahco tools!

I own 6 pairs of bahco pliers, and they see heavy use and abuse. I heard they moved their production to China a little while back, and I did have to adjust the grips, and back springs of the last two pairs I purchased.

I’ve also owned two Bahco keyhole saws. Both worked very well at their intended purpose, but both broke, they’re a little too tapered and couldn’t handle the lateral force (read, abuse) I applied to them.

Not a tool I’d buy online, but easily a tool I’d buy.

5. Travis says:

I use a pruning saw like this one
    when I need to cut bigger limbs (or whole Christmas trees). Amazon puts the price over $20 but I recall paying closer to $10 for it. Granted, that was years ago. But it’s held up well.

6. Gary says:

That saw could also be useful for the shop if they sell a blade that works in dry hardwoods.

7. Brice says:

If you honestly think a chainsaw isn’t a good idea around kids, you need to think about your technique. Do you think the kid would be less dead if the tree fell on them? If they aren’t close enough for the tree to land on them, why does the chainsaw matter?

8. David Bryan says:

The way I read it, he said the kids around the chainsaw was a bad idea, not the chainsaw around the kids. That sounds different to me.

9. rick says:

I dumped snow down my back twice. Use a 12 gauge with slugs it cuts em down and knoks all the snow off at the same time. Montana small tree cutter.