If this Task Force drill looks the tiniest bit familiar, it should. It looks almost exactly like the Black & Decker Ni-Cad 18v from a year or two ago. It’s now down from $50 to $30 at Lowe’s. We’re not sure that’s going to be enough to get them to fly off shelves, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Those really seeking a super deal might just hit the old Harbor Freight $20 drill bin, but less than $40 is still a reasonable price for a cheap drill. This one will be on sale “While Supplies Last” which translates to “when last year’s stock is gone.”

What do you think? Is ten bucks worth it, or will any junk drill do when it comes to the world of cheap-ass Ni-Cad? Let us know in comments.

Task Force Drill [Lowe’s]

13 Responses to Dealmonger: Task Force 18v Drill

1. MattC says:

The problem with many low-end drills is that the manufacturers use low end battery packs and dumb chargers (the battery life tends to drop quickly). One can buy a low end drill, retrofit the batteries with matched cells and buy a dual-stage smart charger for less than the cost of a high end drill.

2. BC says:

I’d rather drop the $50 on a Ryobi 18V (http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools/Ryobi/h_d1/N-arfeZ1awZ1z140i3Z1xr5/R-100674440/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

At least that way you get a battery that can be bought off the shelf at HD, and a whole host of other tools that work off the same battery. Bonus – the Ryobi 18V batteries sold today are compatible with ALL Ryobi 18V tools ever made.

3. lynyrd says:

I was in desperate need of a backup drill one day and I saw a 14.4V B&D (I think-it’s orange) cordless on sale at Lowe’s for $30. It was almost an impulse buy. I guess I had been brainwashed into thinking I needed an 18V drill but Ive never missed the 3.6V. Today I drilled 47 11/64″ holes through 12 ga steel before it needed a recharge. I bought it thinking it would last 6 months but 18 months later it’s looking like a pretty smart buy. I wish I had bought 2 of them.

4. Randy Carlson says:

lynyrd might be in luck if he tries eBay, given that the B&D FireStorm line has been discontinued. For example, there are plenty of new 18v tools and new batteries offered. I am going to buy some of each because I love most of my original combo pack (drill & circ saw & flashlight & a ridiculous vacuum), and because I will only need to tend one set of batteries. Note: the drill has a removable chuck, which exposes a standard hex shank quick change (handy, not awkward); the circ saw works fine when you don’t need to drag out extension cords for a large job (although I had to remove metal to get a right angle cut); the flashlight has been useful (not DOA when needed); and the charger claims to be better than a dumb charger (I’ll let you know in a couple of years).

5. Cameron says:

This leads to a question I’ve been meaning to ask…
    For someone who doesn’t use his drill very often, what should I be doing with the batteries? Should I leave one on the charge at all times? Swap them occasionally? Leave them off the charger and find myself without a drill when I suddenly need one?

6. Randy Carlson says:

The 18v charger that I got with my combo pack (see above) says to leave them in the charger, that the charger will not over-charge. Like I said, the jury is still out, but so far so good. Given that I have a two battery charger and two batteries, I marked one “Even” and the other “Odd.” If I am working on an odd day, I use the “odd” battery, and vice-versa. Besides appealing to my obsessive-compulsive nature, it ensures that I don’t over-use one versus the other.

7. MattC says:

@Cameron:

If the charger is a smart charger (2or3 stage charger; i.e. 1hr fast charger then switches to trickle mode) then you can leave the batteries on the charger.

The typical brick (dumb) charger supplies a constant charge whether or not the batteries are fully charged or not. This charger will greatly decrease the life expectancy of the battery packs. On this, charge for several hours and remove from the charger. Otherwise the “memory effect” will limit run times and the cell will eventually be corrupted. Someone with more knowledge than me on this, can explain how this happens. But for my B&D firestorm drill/saw combo, I purchased a B&D smart charger seperately. I hope this helps.

8. Eddie says:

I wouldn’t buy a Task Force hand tool, never mind a Task Force power tool. Just try getting one fixed or finding replacement parts. Stick to established brands if you care about your tools.

9. A douglas says:

Very good drill,but can not get batteries.I sure hate to trash a good drill,but if I can’t use it,it’s worthless.

10. Gail says:

Can someone tell me what strength adaptor is used on the charger. I have a new task force drill exactly like the one pictured above, but alas, no adaptor to plug into the charger to charge the batteries. I have a box of spare adaptors that came from other tools, etc., but I don’t know if I can use any even though some fit into the charger hole.

11. Gerald says:

I’m looking for the ac/DC adapter cord for task f. 18v drill/driver model#PT90310

12. Gerald says:

Have a base charger I was using with adapter class 2 type VA8A-260032 26v 320mA DC output.cord/ box ruined. Need to find one,