On Instructables (via lifehacker) is — IMHO — a neat use of zip ties to repair a broken Ethernet (RJ45) plug. I don’t know how many of these plugs with a broken, or missing, little plastic locking tab thingy you have around your house, but I certainly have a few. And it’s just a little bit annoying when you grab one, plug it in, and have it fall out when you’re not looking. This Instructable shows how to fix them with a couple of appropriately-sized (head width of 4.3mm, but test fit in an RJ45 jack to make sure) and trimmed zip ties. As shown in the above picture, one zip tie, with its head thinned by a sharp knife, is secured to the Ethernet cable by another zip tie, and bent to act like a spring.

Repair A Broken Ethernet Plug [Instructables]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to How-To: Repair A Broken Ethernet Plug

1. raymond says:

This is a good idea, but I feel more satisfaction learning how to crimp my own lines. a bag of 100 RJ45 connectors is like $5.00 and a decent crimping tool can be had for $10.00.

2. Aleksejs says:

I agree with raymond about crimping a new one. I do not agree that you can get a decent modular jack crimping tool for just $10. The good ones start from $30. But may be I just have not found a good cheap one yet. πŸ™‚

Anyway – If crimping is not an option – then it is a good “hack” πŸ™‚

3. Chris W says:

I second Ray’s remarks. It is easy to make your own cables. when I brought my daughter to college the 40′ Cat 6 cable I brought wasn’t long enough. The local Ace hardware had the bulk wire and a kit of connectors with a crimp tool. Just be aware that some connectors can be used for both solid and stranded wire, and some can only be used for one type.

4. jeff says:

While you’re replacing the connector might as well throw a boot on so it doesn’t snap off again.

5. Chris W says:

I put those boots on all the cables I make. Also, Amp makes connectors which can take a metal cable clamp. Together, the boot and the clamp make the connector much stronger, and I can tell at a glance whether I made the cable, or a coworker made it. You know which ones to trust.

6. raymond says:

Here is the crimper I have:

I’ve crimped DOZENS of cables with this crimper flawlessly. Why spend 80bux on a crimper at home depot when I can get one for 10bux that does the exact same job?

Also, with dealextreme, you have to remember you COULD find great stuff, but I have ordered a lot of garbage from them as well. That crimper though? The best.

7. Mr P says:

While on this topic you should check out and get the ez45 + rj11 crimper and connectors. The wire passes thru the connector so you don’t have to worry so much about getting the perfect length and you can verify the correct order of the wire easily before you crimp

8. HammerDrill says:

I second what Mr P has to say. The ez45 connectors make this job so less frustrating.
    You don’t need to buy the EZ Crimping tool if you already have a crimping tool. The EZ Crimping tool will cut the wires and crimp in one step. I just snip the wires that pass thru the connector with nail clippers.