Dustbuster, move aside for Black & Decker’s newest “ultra-portable” vac, the Flex — claimed as the “first ever ultra-compact cordless vac with a four foot flexible hose.” And by “ultra-portable,” they mean small. It’s much smaller than it looks in pictures, weighing in at just four pounds. It looks perfect for vacuuming the car or cleaning up little messes around the house. Read on past the jump for more details and some pics that put it all in perspective.

While B & D’s literature skips information on battery type, size, or run-time, they do offer some pretty esoteric performance measurement, like the fact that the Flex “generates over 25 air watts — 40% more than a 12V Dustbuster.” I suppose we’ll have to wait to see one in person before we can answer the real questions: How much debris will it pick up and for how long?

One nit-pick: I’m not a big fan of the “two easy payments of $39.99” marketing scheme on the Black & Decker site. A quick troll through Google and Amazon shows that you can score a Flex for $65-$70 from a variety of outlets. And is even $65 a bit much for a hand-held vac? Granted, they include a pretty wide variety of accessories, and Dyson’s sold more than a few of their even higher-priced handhelds. So maybe it’s just me.

[Black & Decker]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to One Funky Vacuum

1. Kyle says:

I wish I could get a handheld unit that took hitachi Li-Ion 18v battery packs

2. Kelley Nelson says:

Agree, I like the packaging but this appears to be another hand vac with a nicad pack in it. The runtime is always short and you have to deal with the fussiness of a nicad pack with regards to memory, not discharging too far, etc.

I think I saw Hoover sells a small vac like this that has a lithium ion pack.

3. PutnamEco says:

Toolmonger just did a post on Makitas Lithium Ion vacuum

I have been having pretty good luck with Black & Deckers SPV1800 18 Volt Platinum Series Cordless Hand Vac. It has a fair runtime of about 15 minutes and a removable 18 volt NiCad battery pack.

4. EG says:

If it’s Black and Decker, expect a NiCad cordless phone battery. Our dustbuster works for about a minute and a half.

5. fred says:

@PutnamEco

We have quite a few sets of Makita LXT tools – and have bought the batteries in bulk. So far we like the line a lot. While we don’t have much use for this sort of cordless vacuum – I was thinking about trying out their cordless blower – based on the same battery platform:

6. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    fred Says:
    Chris over at tool-rank pointed out to me that the BUB182Z is also a vacuum. See page 4 of this tools operators manual which you can download from the Makita website.

While I don’t use this small a vacuum often, the few times that I have needed it, sure beat having to lug around a much larger vacuum.