When I first saw Eagle’s Marking Center Finder, I thought, “Cool, that works on the same principle as Rockler’s mortise-centering router baseplate.” Looking at the PVC-made jig, I figured it’d be 5 to 10 bucks tops, but then I saw $25 price tag and figured I’d tell everyone they should spend 15 minutes in the shop and make one with a with a piece of scrap wood and a section of dowel instead.

It’s simple geometry that if you build it right, drilling three evenly spaced holes on a line, the resulting jig should be pretty accurate in finding the center of a board. And if you build your own you won’t be limited to the width of a 2×4 like Eagle’s model.

Why would you want to build one in the first place? It’s handy for marking the center of board edge when you’re laying out mortises, holes for dowels, centering biscuits, and doing plenty of other operations. If you find you’d actually want to purchase Eagle America’s marking center finder, they generously throw in a pencil for your $25.

Center Finder [Eagle America]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

16 Responses to Overpriced Center Finder

1. Wheels17 says:

I laughed when I saw this. I threw together one last week. You don’t even need to get the spacing right if you run it down the board, flip it, and run it again. The gap between the two lines is the centerline… Guess how I know.

2. Dave P. says:

Ben, nobody can accuse you of sugarcoating your reviews. Since all the tool mags do is fawn over everything (OMG We can’t piss off our advertisers) your tact-lite approach is totally refreshing.

If you spend 25 bucks on this, you need to consider a new hobby. Now if it had a laser on it, or was made out of anodized aluminum, I’d probably spend four times that…..I’m a sucker.

3. JB says:

What ever happened to using a ruler?

4. bob says:

This will keep center in a warped board.

5. Scott says:

This is one of those “why didn’t I think of that” tools, I fully intend to make one tonight.

6. Scott says:

As a matter of fact, this looks like a great project for a kid to make if you want to teach them how to use a drill or drill press…

7. Gary says:

They could add a level to it to ensure you don’t unevenly wear the pencil lead.

8. Keith says:

Hmmm, while your making your own, why not put in some nylon rollers instead of the dowels to allow the jig to roll smoothly along the wood – just make sure to find some rollers with a minimum of play in them.

9. John says:

You can use a piece of peg board as a template and the holes would be accurate.

10. Alex says:

I just made one. I used 1/4 inch metal rod, cut in 2 inch length, it rolls as good as ball baring rollers would..

11. Hugh Summers says:

Brilliant!!

12. bill says:

Metal pegs – what a great idea – start saving all your rollers from the timken bearings when you replace the wheel bearings in your truck.

13. Richard says:

I use the tried and true method, make a single measured mark at one end, put a pencil in my hand and use one of my spare fingers to run a line down the center. this tool is good until one of the pegs kicks over the end of the wood, oh well.

14. yes its good for beginners good