jump to example.com

The dartboard cabinet was going very well by the time I got to the actual cabinet part of the project. Since the other cabinet was going to be nothing more than a guide and no parts on it were serviceable any longer, I was left with a bit of freedom on how to go about building it.

The old box measured 20 1/2″ x 23 1/4” x 3” without the doors on it. The length and height were important to me, but the depth was going to be a little off because I was going to tack my ply on the back rather than inset it so it was flush.

Another difference was going to be in the material itself. The previous box side pieces were built from fir and stained a dark walnut color. I was going to use solid black walnut I scrounged for a $1.25 a board foot of 1” x 8” and found a reasonably straight 6’ board to work with. This would allow me at least two strips of 3″ by 6′ pieces of solid walnut to work once I got it cut up.

The fist step after cutting the board up on the table saw was to create the four side pieces. Using the old box as a template, I cut and mitered each side and dry fit them on top of the old box. The new box would be a little chunkier but would most likely stand up well to punishment.

After each piece was cut and fitted, a little glue and some one-inch brads kept it together.

Next up, I cut a back piece from some nice veneered ply I saved for just this occasion.

It was now time to make this box a little nicer around the edges so it would look a trifle less beefy than the one inch pieces they actually are. I taped off a section where I didn’t want to router, since the magnetic door catch needs to be in the center of the bottom piece on the inside.

With a roman ogee bit and bearing stop loaded in my trim router, I made a loop around the inside perimeter of the box, making sure to start and stop at the tape markers.

The result was a nice decorative look on the inside of the box with a space left for hardware.

The old box had slots cut in the bottom for chalk and I thought that would be nice to have. I used a 3/8” and 1/2″ round nose bit with a side guide on my trim router to make slots for chalk and a tip sharpener on the bottom.

Using the far side of the tape marker and the side of the box as guides, I made the two slots in the bottom in a few minutes.

A bead of glue and a few brads saw the back fastened securely in place without any trouble.

The basic construction of the box is now completed. It’s a little heavier than the original was but it’s much sturdier and looks tremendously better.

In the third and final part of the build I’ll add the hardware, complete the rest of the finish work, and do the final assembly.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *