If given the choice I almost always gravitate towards shops that look like this — mostly because it’s simply not possible to get a space to look this way without putting some time and effort into it. Also, because there is always an unfinished something in the works hanging around that catches our eye.

Right off the bat in this case, we’d ask about the homebrew toolbox in the center there propping up some other items and find out what its story is — we’re sure it has one. As always, reader ghb624 has an interesting-looking workspace even if it is a bit on the busy side. Well done, sir!

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

8 Responses to Flickr Pool: Clean Is Not Always Best

1. Gregg says:

I have always been told “A Tidy desk is a Tidy mind”

I usually reply with “if you have time to tidy anything you aren’t working hard enough”

🙂

2. In my experience 5 to 10 minutes spent putting tools and materials away after you’re finished working on a project are worth at least 2 to 3 times that amount of time saved searching for where the hell I put that tool or having to clear a work surface right in the middle of an operation cause it’s covered in crap. Not to mention the frustration that occurs when you can’t find something you need.

There’s nothing wrong with leaving stuff out if you end the day in the middle of a project and you’re going to pick it up right away again tomorrow either.

There’s a happy medium though, you can spend way too much time cleaning and organizing to the point where you don’t get anything else done. In my life I’ve personally oscillated from one end of the spectrum to the other (organized to disorganized), but as I get older I like to keep things on the cleaner side.

3. Bob says:

At it worst, you end up buying tools you already have, then finding the originals under the buildup. I’m in the “put it away when you finish” camp now.

4. ghb624 (Jerry) says:

Yes, Benjamen, a happy medium would be wonderful. At times the mess does get to the point that I can’t go on, and have to do a stand-down to try and get back a little closer to the middle of the road. But with limited success. Some of us just seem to thrive under conditions that most would call chaos. So my sporadic cleanup efforts only last long enough to get things back to an “acceptable” (for me) level of clutter & confusion.

5. Manny says:

It is possible to get your hands dirty and finish all kinds of projects big and small, but however, still be a neat freak at the same time. I’m sorry, I just can’t work like this.

6. bob says:

I’m bob. I agree with Bob. Photographers shot in the morning and late afternoon (the magic hour) because of the light. And autumn light lengthens the magic time each day. Something or other to with the sun-light coming in at angle.

7. Painter Jeff says:

Bob, I had to laugh at your comment: “….you end up buying tools you already have, then finding the originals under the buildup.”

I have two of a lot of tools because of that! On the other hand, if you have one, why not have two? 😉

8. fred says:

We organize our truck interiors and even compartmentalize our Knack Boxes so we can find things – and more importantly know if something is missing on a jobsite at the end of a shift or day. Saves a lot of wasted time, improves safety, and saves money.