Mat’s Beads Artfire shop is selling the Handi-Bender wire bender right now for $10.59.

The Handi-Bender, made by Jon-Cee Products, is one of those useful little tools for those who need to bend wire for artistic or practical projects. (Another seller, allstainedglass has a picture of possible bends up on their site; the price there is $14.35). The tool is basically an aluminum casting with slots at straight and angled orientations against which to bend, as well as holes into which dowel pins are inserted for making loops and such. There’s also an import  knockoff from Duluth Trading Post. While I’m happy with my Diacro bender, there are times where I don’t feel like wrestling with setup and for those jobs a little bender like this is, um, “handi.”

Handi-Bender [artfire.com]

7 Responses to Dealmonger: Handi-Bender

1. Rob G says:

LeeValley sells one, slightly better, I think, for $7.95

2. Cameron says:

Boy, that brings back memories. I bought one as a kid from the local Radio Shack (the RS being a wall in the TV repair guy’s shop). I thought I was going to make clever things with it using coat hangers. I don’t remember ever doing it though.

3. Cameron says:

Rob, I like the Lee Valley one better, too, as it has a curved form this one doesn’t (my old RS form had it too).

4. Geoff says:

The Lee Valley one is excellent for the money. I have it mounted on the doorframe inside my shop space, and I use it all the time. Coat hangers provide excellent stock for this, and I’ve even made some jewelry out of a coat hanger and — of all things — black tool dip. It made a great choker, and my wife wears it from time to time. Talk about an interesting conversation piece.

I use it for making all sorts of jigs and hooks. Many of our hanging house plants are hung by coat hanger bent on one of these, and I have an articulated pull hook I’ve used for years for pulling cable through walls.

One other thing: The item shown on this page could also get curved forms by using the end of the block itself…

5. There’s also a very similar plastic version of this, which is made from rock-hard fibre-filled nylon or something and still has steel pins, so ought to last pretty well.

And you can’t complain, for the price, which is under $US5 ex delivery. I bought a couple from this eBay seller:
    Here’s a current listing:
    (shipping costs a bit more now than it did when I bought them)

6. Kat says:

Hi, I’m Kat. I work for Mat’s Beads. Thanks for the plug 🙂 much appreciated. They’ve changed the design of the handi bender. It now has 4 holes instead of 5 and they’ve changed its color to black. The important thing is that it remains an inexpensive, versatile and tough little tool. Also, the current price is $13.99 each. Thanks!

7. Lydia says:

I have the instructions for one of these!