Those of you who happened to catch the Washington Business Journal yesterday probably did the same spit-take we did:

“Power tool maker Black & Decker Corp. will be acquired by hand tool maker Stanley Works in an all-stock merger valued at $4.5 billion.”

That’s big news indeed. We haven’t had a chance to talk to anyone at Stanley about this yet, so please take our reactions with a grain of salt. But, wow. Assuming B&D’s current brands — DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Delta Machinery, and (of course) Black & Decker — go along with the deal, Stanley will have established themselves heavily in the power tool domain. Some of B&D’s other assets, like lock and hardware brands Kwikset, Weiser, and Baldwin, seem like they’d fit in perfectly with Stanley’s existing product line. Others, like plumbing fixture supplier Price Pfister, seem more dissimilar.

But regardless of the final disposition of all brands and products, one thing’s certain: this acquisition will greatly affect a number of products you see on the shelves today.

Black & Decker Being Acquired by Stanley for $4.5B [Washington Business Journal]
Stanley/Black & Decker Site [Corporate]

11 Responses to Stanley Acquiring Black & Decker

1. Gil says:

This is the kind of news that puts a happy little tear in your eye.

2. Cousin It says:

If the deal goes thru how long before the prices increase?

3. fred says:

This is interesting news indeed – and probably a logical result of both global competition and the downturn in the housing industry. Black & Decker had been on a buying spree a few years back acquiring some of the GE small appliance business and (I believe) tool companies such as Delta, DeVilbiss, Dewalt, Emhart, Oldham and Porter Cable. Of late I’ve noted what appear to be some blending of the lines and I have been noting what seemed to be some diminution in the Porter Cable line – which I had always thought of as producing great woodworking tools like their big routers, “locomotive style” sanders and 4-1/2 inch wormgear saw, Porta-plane etc.

I recall a time that Stanley either made or marketed a few power tools that “complemented“ their hand tool lineup (once best known for high quality planes and chisels). I remember having some Stanley high-frequency routers in an old shop – along with a frequency converter to power them. The Stanley name was also on a rather unique small-diameter electric saw that had its blade mounted such that it could cut backwards and forwards out of 2 separate bases that formed a triangle.
    Over the years I think that Stanley acquired such toolmakers as Husky (not to be confused with the Home Depot brand name), New Britain, Blackhawk, Bostitch, Mac Tools, Proto, SK hand tools, and Wilde.

4. Sean O'Hara says:

I don’t think SK is a Stanley brand, they may have been at one time or another but I don’t think they currently reside in the yellow and black’s stable.

5. Ted says:

Stanley is already a big player in the electric production assembly tool market, chances are a good portion of the nuts and bolts in your car were torqued into place by a Stanley tool. They’ll pick up Emhart in this deal as well, they do a big chunk of the stud welders used in North American factories as well. Lots of interesting connections when big companies combine.

t

6. Gough says:

I hope they reverse, or at least stop, the cheapening of the Porter-Cable brand. My company runs a lot of PC gear, and the quality seemed to be slipping in the last few years.

7. Coach James says:

SK is a stand alone company. They used to be owned by Facom but became independent 3 or 4 years ago. Considering Stanley moved all their production to Asia a few years ago, I wouldn’t count on them to stop the decline of anything owned by B&D. Porter Cable is a shell of its former self and I don’t see this changing under Stanley ownership.

8. fred says:

@ Sean O’Hara

With a little overnight research , I find that you are absolutely right about SK.
    SK had been bought out by Dresser and then by Facom
    Facom was in turn bought out by Stanley – but then SK management took the company private after the Stanley buy-out

9. Brau says:

Appropriate marriage. When I want something really cheap, both Stanley and Black & Decker immediately come to mind. Hence I have none of either but for a pry bar. It reminds me of major appliance or car shopping today, where all the “brands” are simply badges over similar mechanics made by the same manufacturer. It makes it hard to find a quality product when the “best” is simply the same as the the cheapest but with a few extra gadgety features added for a hefty premium.

10. fred says:

@Brau

“When I want something really cheap, both Stanley and Black & Decker immediately come to mind”

Both companies represent many different lines of manufacture.
    We have Stanley Vidmar storage systems in our shops – not cheap or low quality. Stanley’s Facom and Proto hand tool lines – are not low end either.
    Their Bostitch pneumatics are also contenders.

Black & Decker’s new Delta Unisaw – also looks like it might be a winner and possibly a worthy update for the Unisaws we have in our shop. Their Emglo compressors (now Dewalt) are also first rate for their purpose. As I conjectured earlier – I’m still concerned about what might be a downward trend in their Porter Cable line

11. Brian K says:

The bigger concern is the downward trend in DeWalts product quality. As a contractor, I was once hard sold on DeWalt, but this past year, I’ve had more product quality issues than I can shake a stick at. Most of their products are now producted offshore and they’ve really cut back on their sales reps and customer service. Maybe this is a good thing that will put quality back on track.