Apparently available only at Woodcraft, the $90 Vika Quickbench is way less expensive than the $475 Festool MFT/3 (see TM 7/27/09), and 40% less than the $150 Vika Twofold™, but does it warrant a place in your shop or garage? It has a 32″ high, 30″ × 24″ work surface with a 24″ × 3½” opening vise and four plastic bench dogs. The Quickbench can hold up to 300 lbs and, when used in pairs as sawhorses, has a capacity up to 2,000 lbs. Two or more units can also be connected together to make a workstation or larger area bench. There’s a 15A, 3-outlet power strip with circuit protection in the base of one pair of its legs.

What do you think? Would this replace — or supplement — your trusty old Workmate (e.g., TM )? Let us know in comments.

Vika Quickbench [Woodcraft]

Tagged with:

11 Responses to Hot Or Not? Vika Quickbench

1. Uncle Festus says:

NOT HOT. Skill work table and Rockwell jaw horse is more versatile.

2. davidp says:

Too much plastic.

3. Flabby Boohoo says:

For about $25 I would spring for it. But like davidp says, too much plastic. I’ll stick with my workmate.

4. Rick says:

I’m going to say NOT. There is nothing about it that really impresses me. As Festus says, the Rockwell jaw horse is more versatile. I’ve got that on my short list for a future acquisition.

I’m surprised you haven’t brought up the Walko 3 workbench:

Of course the price of that one is insane at $629. I got a real laugh when Woodcraft had the audacity to say (via their facebook page) that this was a great workbench for beginners.

As for the Vika TwoFold, I got mine a year ago from Costco for $49.99. Maybe that was a store special or something. It is rock solid. It has plastic on the scaffolding side but the whole thing has a steel frame. I don’t see any evidence that the quick bench has a similar steel frame.

All that said, I’ve got two workmates and they both still see more work than the Twofold..

5. Paully says:

How about a saw attachment. I want a portable table saw.

6. Patrick says:

I see nothing a quick mod on a work mate can’t solve for less than the asking price.

7. ShopMonger says:

Patrick: so true making a MFT is not that hard…..

David: Plastic ? what is wrong with plastic. I know it still has a bad wrap but……… It can be as strong as steal in some cases, and then have the flexibility to withstand high impact without weight and Imperial Crap-ton.

ShopMonger

8. gravyvest says:

hot!…will make those clumsy workmates obsolete for on the job.

9. Mark says:

I purchased a Vika folding work bench at CTC some time ago and gave my workmate away. The Vika is very light and much more mangable then the clumsy workmate. Problems is i have not seen them at CTC since i purchased mine and would like another one

10. Art says:

I have one but there is no clamping piece on it. This thing is plenty solid. I’d love to find another one