This is a man with his priorities in order. Reader Lowside has finally figured out what to do with all that wasted space behind the garage door.

As far as I can tell, this solves two problems. The first is he never has to try to cram them back into a molded plastic container — a big plus in our book. The other is he gets to practice tossing them back onto the rack and looking casual. That way when his buddies come by he can look wicked cool with his mad wrench-throwing skills.

Warning: you might want to hold off practicing the wrench-toss maneuver until the other half is out of the house. Don’t ask how we know.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

10 Responses to From the Flickr Pool: Wrench Space

1. Dave M says:

Why the blue cover on the bar? So the spanners don’t get scratched??

2. Dave M says:

Ooops – the caption on flickr answered my question: Blue masking tape for extra friction.

3. lowside says:

@Dave M
    Yup unfortunately the combination of the magnets being a little weaker than I’d like and some of the bigger metric wrenches being pretty damn heavy means that the last 2-3 wrenches on the bar are kinda inclined to slide off given any provocation at all. Surprisingly the masking tape provides just enough friction to hold them up there, so far at least. I think I’ll probably replace it with some black ducktape though for a little extra grippiness, and durability (plus it’ll look nicer too).

4. Ron says:

Wrench throwing skills are no big deal, if you can get the wrenches to come when you call then you get my respect

5. Flabby Boohoo says:

closing the door does not make the wrenches go flying?

6. dano says:

Where does the dart board go now? Or the full sized poster of Farrah?

7. lowside says:

@Flabby Boohoo

It’s a double door going into my shop, and that’s the half that doesn’t really see much use so it’s not really an issue. That said, most of the smaller wrenches, say 21mm and down are actually stuck on there pretty good and it would take a pretty good slam to knock them loose. I think upgrading to ducktape like I mentioned earlier would make this even less of an issue. Another option would be using two strips one at the top and one at the bottom for the bigger wrenches. I may actually try picking up some extra strips for this next time I’m near Ikea.

8. TM Reader says:

Tried coating the magnet in plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape?

9. Gough says:

“If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.”
    -Patches O’Hoolihan

10. wackyvorlon says:

My complaint would be that it’ll magnetize the wrenches. That can be a pain in more ways than you’d think.