If you want to know how the welding supply industry is reacting to the cordless market, take a gander at the Trek 180 battery-powered MIG Welder. It’s awesomeness in a 52-lb. box.

We’re not saying this is meant to replace a larger shop model, and neither is Hobart. What the Trek 180 is designed to do is take care of small jobs when you are away from anything resembling civilization. The rig can run off its own 120 amp 17VDC battery or from an 115V power outlet with a 20 percent duty cycle.

It doesn’t sound like a lot until you are miles from nowhere with a busted-ass whatever you need to take care of on the spot. Then the little Trek 180 looks awfully powerful. Of course, this assumes you have a burning need to shell $1400 for this convenience. Then again we have met some off-road guys that would be all over this.

Trek 180 Cordless MIG Welder [Hobart]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to Hobart Trek 180 Cordless Welder

1. cjd says:

When wheeled i would have been all over this. Until i read this in the specs.

Weld Time On Battery 4 minutes at 120 A
    Power Only 2 minutes at 180 A

It’s still a good welder. Good for a couple of tacs.

2. fred says:

Looks like a pretty nice but limited piece of equipment.
    As you say it will never replace a bigger rig – nor the versatility that you get with a truck-mounted engine-driven welder like the Miller Trailblazer that we use.

3. kyle says:

i belive that this welder can weld something in the ange of 100″ per charge but the duty cycle is 20% at full power

4. Jim K. says:

Almost enough to tempt me as it’d be nice to have a welder I could bring with me when I go off-road, but for the price and the specs I think I’ll wait for the next generation and see what happens to the duty cycle/run time.

5. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    Jim K. Says:
    it’d be nice to have a welder I could bring with me when I go off-road,
    ————-
    There are plenty of under hood welding systems with more robust specs.

6. Agapeguy says:

I have one. You can weld up to 1/4″ with some passes, e.g., broken shackle, but you only have 2 minutes of weld time. This is plenty of time for a temporary trail fix, until you get back to civilization. Buy it!

7. How much does the 180 cordless trek welder cost and can i get a charger for 240 v i will appreciate if you can come back to me with this information thank you