You wire your shop for electricity and run ducting for your dust collection system, so why not outfit your shop with compressed air outlets where you’ll need them rather than dragging the air hose around?

RapidAir makes running air lines throughout the shop as easy as running PEX water line. You don’t have to cut and thread pipe or mess with pipe dope at the fittings. The system can handle pressures up to 150 PSI using just flexible 1/2″ nylon tubing and simple push-on fittings.

Pricing for the master kit starts at $140; it includes one compressor manifold, two outlets, and 100′ of 1/2″ blue nylon tubing.¬†Outlets, tubing, and fittings are also available separately.

Master Kit [RapidAir]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Compressed Air Outlets For Your Shop

1. Brent says:

I have this system in my shop in the basement. It makes for simple setup of air distribution.

2. jeffrey immer says:

wouldn’t you need air dryers, that has been my main hold up from a setup like that.

3. Jim German says:

Anyone else think that $140 for $40 of tubing, and a couple of quick disconnects is a huge rip-off?

4. Blake says:

You can get this master kit at Harbor Freight for $90. this same kit by Rapidair

5. Blake says:

actually the kit is sold thru central pneumatic on harbor freight’s website but it’s the same kit. take a look

6. Brent says:

The tubing is pretty cheap. The manifold blocks are machined out of alluminum, and the fittings are not particularly cheap.

I have a manifold I built up on the supply side. I have a hydraulic line feeding a regulator, and a moisture trap. The rapidair manifold connects to this. My manifold has provision for multiple taps if I wanted to have an oiler etc. feeding a separate system.

7. Benjamen Johnson says:

Blake liked to the Harbor Freight item as his website so it turned his name into the link. I searched the Harbor Freight website for the kit for five minutes without luck until I noticed that.

the link is:

Yeah looks like the same kit.

8. nnonix says:

I highly recommend 1/2″ Thick-wall copper pipe! After installing both black-pipe and flexible solutions I’ll never go back. Terminate your drops with soldered brass fittings and your done.

9. Mitch says:

perfect timing. I’ve been debating (procrastinating) for the past year on how to plumb my shop. The plastic looks so easy. I was thinking traditional black pipe. I’d heard it does a better job of condensing water out of the air. Copper, hmmm….

10. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

I used 1/2″ copper – the cheap stuff – at 120 PSI all over the house. I had it around the shop, around the garage, near the driveway, on the back deck, and was even thinking of putting it in the bathroom closet to help with the shower cleaning.

I had a filter near the compressor, and never had a problem with water in the lines. The copper elbows with the mounting flanges on them (holes for 2 screws – I think for shower head connections) made it easy to mount a quick-connect that was solid. In many cases I joined long sections of pipe with Tees instead of couplers, and plugged the tee with a crimped & soldered length of pipe. That made it easy to add to add quick connect taps later if I found I needed air at that location.

11. Cameron Watt says:

@MeasureOnceCutTwice: Air plumbed into the house? It’s something I thought of doing but never did. I bow before your superior handiness! I like the tee idea for joining copper; black pipe is so easy to weld, you just drill a hole, cope a branch, and weld ‘er on.

Confession time: I run hose wherever I need air. I’m a welder and happen to have a pile of black pipe at the shop. The cobblers kids have no shoes…

I am going to make a cyclonic air/water separator to get the moisture under control. Do any of you guys run one?

12. Brew says:

I use 3/4″ copper everywhere in mine. I also ran a line in to the basement in to the mechanical room. figured it would be handy for when I want to finish the basement.

Brew

13. Albertho Kangon says:

We have a 12,000 sq ft shop and i must admit, roughing in compressed air was well worth the initial investment. We have multiple stations which utilize Vortex Tube stations for spot cooling applications. Very soon we will be expanding our facility and will again have to provide many more compressed air stations.

Regards,
    Albertho k.

14. Toolaremia says:

This is on sale again at Harbor Fright [sic] for $80 in the catalog that just arrived in my mailbox.

15. Jeff says:

I work with over 400 body shops and in my experiences that system should have a “loop” system. It saves the compressor from extra work and helps prevent moisture at the end of the system. Also refrigerant air dryers are always a plus with drop spouts and diaphragm air regulators at each work station. To do it right costs money. But for a quick home system I like people think about this stuff like I do.

16. David says:

is the pipe PEX?

17. Phil Ershler says:

This tubing looks to be quite small if you need a large volume of air. (Depending on your application)