Are these awesome pry bars? I don’t own these, but I’m gonna guess not. So if you’re prying the tops off nuclear reactors or something, this one might be more your speed. But if you’re just looking for a way to keep your screwdrivers from ending up bent or otherwise molested, they sound pretty great (considering the price).

I can clearly remember my dad removing a screwdriver (or once a micrometer — hey, I was six at the time) from my grubby little hand, replacing it with the correct tool for the job: one of the many cheap-ass pry bars he kept around. We scored ours from the flea market — still a great place to look. But now you can score a set of three for six lousy bucks at Harbor Freight. Consider it an investment in keeping your real tools safe.

3-Piece Heavy Duty Pry Bar Set [Harbor Freight]

7 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: Three Pry Bars for $6

1. Alex M. says:

They’re fine. I’ve had this set of HF pry bars for a few years, and I’ve subjected them to nearly every insult imaginable (mechanical, electrical, thermal, and chemical – and sometimes combinations thereof) and they’ve held up.

2. Ted says:

I’ve shattered a cheap “bent screwdriver” style prybar before (about the size of the large one in the set above), it wasn’t fun, they fail quite spectacularly and the fairly high amount of force you’re exerting has to go somewhere, I was propelled a few feet and slammed into the garage wall.

I think SnapOn started marketing these about 20 odd years ago and they were soon available as knockoffs everywhere. I prefer the standard octagonal section “wrecking bar” pattern prybars, they’re cheap enough you can buy a decent brand name one without breaking the bank too.

Ted

3. Kris says:

What with most every company trying to cuts costs it’s very likely that “name brand” tool is built on the same chinese factory line as the “cheapo” Harbor Freight/No Name version.

Caveat emptor.

4. BadBob says:

I have these. They flex a bit more than I like but other than that they work fine. For $6 I can’t complain.

5. Chris W says:

When I want to lift the lid of my reactor I just pinch the coolant line shut. I have found the metal HF uses for its hand tools to vary considerably. I have some pliers from them which are very strong and some screwdrivers which are so weak I dare not use them on any tight screws.

6. Nick says:

Ive owned these pry bara before, they are good for prying light duty jobs, but they WILL bend when prying heavy objects

7. Steve says:

I have these. I have them in my junkyard tool box. The large one works well enough to pry a car door open and the others are ok for general purpose prying tasks. For 6 bucks, I won’t mourn if I lose one.