DeWalt says their new 6-3/4″ metal-cutting circular saw can plow through up to 2″ conduit and pipe in a single pass. A stainless-steel shoe prevents rust and helps smoothly push chips away to keep them from tearing up your cutting surface, too. But is DeWalt’s 18V battery line enough to keep it running all day?

You’ll have to help me out here. I’ll admit that I don’t own a metal circ saw. I understand that they’re popular among electricians, and I imagine that even fairly large conduit doesn’t put up much of a fight. But I have used more than a few cordless wood circ saws, and while they work very well in trim sizes — and they’re awesome for quick small job work where you’re away from power — you’d better bring lots of batteries if you’re planning to cut loads of ply or use ’em for a day’s framing. Also, is it common to use these for cutting sheet?

If you’re already bought in to the DeWalt 18V line, you can score the bare tool (no batteries or charger, called the DW934B) for around $200. A full kit with two batteries and a charger (DW934K2H) will set you back around $600.

6-3/4″ 18V Cordless Metal Cutting Circ Saw [DeWalt]
DeWalt DW934 [Google Products]
DeWalt DW934 Via Amazon [What’s This?]

15 Responses to DeWalt’s Cordless Metal Cutting Circular Saw

1. jc says:

While I like DeWalt tools, I despise DeWalt batteries. They’re over-priced ($400 difference between with and without batteries?!?), the have a lousy lifetime (after a year, 3 of my 18V batteries only run the trim saw for a few minutes), and they get HOT when charging (which really shortens the lifespan).

Someone needs to come up with a low-cost line of batteries to get DeWalt back in line with reality. They want $150 for an 18V lithium pack. That’s simply ludicrous.

Overall: Great tools, crappy batteries. I’d rather buy an inferior tool for 1/3 the price and replace the battery for 1/4 of the cost than give DeWalt more money for batteries.

2. stuckupinatree says:

what is new about this? This is an old tool. The fact that they now will sell a Bare unit makes it NEW?

3. Mike47 says:

Coupla comments here… I love DeWalt tools, but I have no experience with this one. Just looking at it, it seems like the discharge chute is aimed toward the operator’s face, which can’t be a good thing. I must be missing something here.

As for batteries, I stick with 18v NiCads. Best place I’ve found to buy them is a local (Roseville,CA) flea market (Denio’s). Recently bought 1 new XRP for $40 and 1 used XRP for $20. Many are available, due to the depressed housing construction economy. Caveat Emptor to be sure, but in the long run, way cheaper than retail or even Ebay. For me, Lithium Ion batteries have nothing to offer. Yet.

4. fred says:

Just my opinion – but why would you want to use a circular saw to cut conduit and/or pipe. In the cordless arena – there are now some pretty decent bandsaws for this job – and for the onesy/twosy jobs you can always use a recip saw. We have gotten to like Milwaukee’s 12V Hackzall for light-duty work – and reach for Milwaukee or Makita recip saws for heavier demo jobs. For plumbing – we still like wheel cutters.

We use Evolution (one bears the MK Morse name) 9 inch corded – metal cutting saws to deal with corrugated roof decking. This Dewalt (or probably any other battery-powered saw) would not likely be up to what we throw at the Evolution/Morse

5. Greg Smith says:

I freaking love my Dewalt lithium ion battery.

6. stuckupinatree says:

it’s not a debris chute that you see, it’s a sight line window. works well. as for 12v hackzalls and tubbing cutters, those aren’t made for heavy duty use, and the tubing cutter won’t do anything beyond copper. Plus why carry another battery platform / charger set up?

7. jeffrey immer says:

the batteries i think are straight garbage, at least the xrp, while the ryobi tools i have are by far inferior in a lot of respects, it think their drills are better for driving screws, and my batteries have lasted years longer, i have some ryobi batteries i bought 4-5 years ago that still run like champs, i have gone through 3 dewalt batteries this summer alone (although it did get really hot) aside from the standard drill, and the flashlight i think that most of the tools shorten the charge life of the batteries greatly, and like what was stated besides the occasional quick job, i never use the cir saw or sawzaw, or grinder for any length of time. i love the impacts but they too drain the batteries too quick.

• Pete says:

go to you tube and look up how to revive your batteries and trust me it really works. it involveds a wire feed welder but watch the different vidoes its a great way to make your dewalt batteries work like new

8. fred says:

@ stuckupinatree

We bought several of the Milwaukee 12V tubing cutters – and it was a comment in Toolmonger that had me check with the crews to find out that they really do not work up to our expectations. – but my guys love the Hackzalls for light duty work – in spots where the bigger recip saws get in the way. We also use and like the drivers and impact drivers that are part of this Milwaukee line – again for tight spots. We have standardized on these – plus Makita 18V LiIon for our cordless tools – I agree with you about not wanting too many different battery/charger platforms – but we’re OK with 2 at a time.

9. stuckupinatree says:

so you burn up a good xrp ( 2 year warranty) easy to replace
    you burn up a ryobi battery…what do you do?

10. Bob says:

I use the much cheaper Ryobi Batteries in all my Dewalt 18v tools.
    I made an adapter by gutting a Dewalt dead battery, and removing the bottom, to be used as the Male part; Cutting up a Ryobi Flashlight for the Female part (cheap at $12.00) and using some epoxy to bond the Ryobi Female inside the gutted Dewalt Male base. up through the bottom.
    Ryobi Batteries are about half the price of Dewalt !

11. DDT says:

You burn up a ryobi battery, you’re fine if it’s part of the one+ system they have going, otherwise buy another ryobi drill. Their cheap drill part of the one+ is what? 50 bucks?

Big companies have to face the fact that people aren’t going to want to spend money on a battery where it’s half the cost of the tool.

And honestly, as much as I like using a cordless drill, and a cordless reciprocating saw when doing demolition, I prefer to use a corded circular saw, jig saw, and router. If people could build houses with those tools before batteries existed, than by no means can it be the same today. There’s nothing more annoying than your battery dieing, and then you have to stop what you’re doing to replace it, and it’s worse when your backup battery fails and doesn’t hold a charge, so now you have to leave the job and go buy another battery.

12. fred says:

@ DDT

I’m mostly with you on the splt between cordless vs. corded tools.
    We have yet to buy a cordless router.
    We do like the Makita 18V LXT circular trim saw (although I still prefer my PC worm-gear 4-1/2 inch corded trim saw) and its somewhat larger cousin circular saw for quick trim work. We especially like them when working on the roof. All this said – we do not push our cordless tools to do what they are not up to doing – relying on super hole-hawgs for big selfeed bits and Skil 77’s for gang cutting sheet goods and rafters.

13. MarilynH says:

Sorry guys. I just can’t get behind another cordless power tool. I have a 16.4 cordless drill and it seems every time I need it for something it is running out of juice. Can’t handle much more than 2′ screws. Which corded driver/drill should I buy? Can’t be heavy and macho and still be used overhead by me.

14. Zathrus says:

you burn up a ryobi battery…what do you do?

Uh, you got to the nearest Home Depot and buy a couple of them for $50. Or you can buy a drill, saw, light, 2 batteries, and charger for $89. Which is the same as a single DeWalt 18V NiCd battery.

If you want the LiIon Ryobi battery then they’re $89 ea. The DeWalt version is $129.

Don’t know what you’re doing wrong then. Even a cheapo Ryobi drill can handle 3″ or more screws without breaking a sweat (heck, I’ve driven 3 1/2″ lag bolts with one). If you have NiCd batteries then you should leave them charging. If they’re LiIon then they can sit in the tool just fine until you need to use it.

There’s not many corded drills left (except hammer drills, which you probably don’t want). If you really want to deal with corded, then just try whatever your local hardware store has and buy it.