The National Geographic Channel’s Inside show had an episode on the Science of Armored Cars. I didn’t see it, but, if the picture above is any indication, I may have missed a good one. I did a quick search of the TM archives, but could not find if Nick had covered this in his TV Tonight posts.

The picture above is Dillon Aero’s Tactical Vehicle, a customized GMC Yukon featuring their M134D Gatling gun. Those are spent 7.62mm NATO shell casings on the roof and base of the windshield. The M134D Gatling gun can fire 3,000 rounds per minute.

Did any Toolmongers see this show? If so, what did you think?

Inside [National Geographic]
Video [National Geographic]
Dillon Aero [Manufacturer’s Site]

9 Responses to Science Of Armored Cars

1. jc says:

This vehicle made an appearance of Myth Busters, the ‘Shooting Fish In A Barrel’ episode, IIRC. For some reason, while Jamie shot it, Adam never did.

2. Pancho Pantera says:

I’ve seen this episode, it was mildly entertaining. Probably like most I was waiting for them to get to the gatling gun, which they teased until the end when they showed it in action. Most of the episode was about armoring cars of today, with a little background in the developments of armored car tech. They showed several levels that the company (Alpine Armoring I believe it was) uses to break down the complexity of armoring designs from protecting from small arms fire to multiple approach armoring to secure against high powered rifles and armor piercing rounds. It was fairly interesting, they also showed a couple of the techniques used by the shop guys to tailor fit steel plating.

3. Shopmonger says:

Yeah the show was cool. I think they did a good job of showing the different levels of armor available.

ShopMonger

4. george says:

saw it. was interesting and educational. but the gun coming out of the roof is just a bit much.

5. jeffrey immer says:

yeah the gatling gun was a teaser up to the last minute or so of the show, the weapon was impressive and ominous in it’s sound. besides that the episode itself was so-so

6. Mitch says:

re “All I know is this is what I need to implement my Atlanta Driver Re-Education Program. One lesson, they’ll never make the same mistake again.”

After they graduate from your course, it sounds like they won’t be making ANY mistake again.

7. paganwonder says:

Truly wish the gatling gun was on the option list for my rig! How cool to have to shovel spent casings off the hood, etc !

8. Billie says:

I would think that if you needed an armored vehicle that you wouldn’t ride around with the window rolled down. That just seems like an invitation to get shot.

9. miltimj says:

He could be at a checkpoint talking to a security guard..