The smarter we become, the more we realize that wood dust and other airborne pollution isn’t very healthy for us to inhale — not to mention the how pissed off the homeowner becomes when there’s a thick layer of sawdust or drywall dust over everything in the house. For your shop you can install permanent air cleaners, but are you going to drag them with you to every job site?

Demo Air Nets look very similar to the bags that inflate when you turn on your dust collector, only they attach to portable fans. Eagle America claims the Air Net captures particles down to 5 microns, but I couldn’t actually verify that fact on the Demo Air Net Website. When you’re finished using the Air Net you can clean it by throwing it in a washing machine on gentle and air drying it.

Demo Air Net manufactures four different size bags: the Small fits 9″ circular fans and has an effective area of 20 cubic feet, the Medium fits 18″ circular fans and covers 3200 cubic feet, the Large fits 24″ circular fans or 20″ square fans and covers a 4800 cubic foot area, and the Monster fits a 42″ circular fan and can cover up to 30,000 cubic feet. Prices for the Demo Air Nets run $40, $100, $190, and $260 for the Small, Medium, Large, and Monster respectively.

Demo Air Net [Corporate Site]
Demo Air Net [Eagle America]

Tagged with:

14 Responses to An Inexpensive And Portable Air Cleaner

1. Old Coot says:

Seems pricey just for the bags…am I missing something here?

2. Old Coot:

A search on Google for Air Filtration Systems:

Sure there are cheaper systems like the Shop Vac for $100. But for a decent system you’re talking at least $200 to $400 and that not including the filter media that you need to replace. They aren’t meant to be portable either.

While it isn’t cheap, it it works as advertised it’ll probably save you some money, emphasis on “works as advertised.”

Inexpensive is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

3. Wayne D. says:

Just make a furniture dolly with handles to make a shop filter portable.

4. aaron says:

or attach a filter to a box fan. for that money you could have a fan with with coarse and fine filters in series. hmm. i might do that.

5. heywood j says:

re: aaron, that is really the easiest/simplest way. get furnace filters and attach them to the intake side of a box fan.

funny enough, if you use paper-based (never fiberglass-based) filters it’s the best way to make beef jerky; take the filters and put them on the other side of the fan and envelop the jerky slices on both sides with the filters and you will have jerky in about 8 hours without the meat cooking; will be much better jerky.

6. bajajoaquin says:

Hmmm. I wonder if you could combine the two…. Make beef jerky on the job site!

7. Tony Clifton says:

Alton Brown (innovator of the fan+filter jerky method) mentioned on his 10th anniversary special last weekend that he left the used jerky filters sitting in his basement; when the furnace guys came to do some maintenance they replaced the dirty filter in the furnace with one of the jerky filters.

“It was like someone had set off a meat bomb in my house.”

8. @Tony Clifton:

“It was like someone had set off a meat bomb in my house.”

If it wouldn’t cause me to cough up my left lung, I’d be laughing hysterically right now

9. “It was like someone had set off a meat bomb in my house.”

That. Is. AWESOME!!

10. Eric says:

Reminds me of the giant bags they use to filter out fines for sediment and erosion control stuff. Much better than those settling tanks cobbled up out of CMP.

11. jeff says:

the best part about attaching the furnace filter to the fan besides being cheap is that the dust won’t get in the motor because you can put it on the intake side.

12. Sweettalker says:

Who would complain about a meat bomb??

13. chucke says:

I have been using one of the Demo Air Nets now for about a year. I find it to be pretty good deal– IT IS REUSABLE!!!! and PORTABLE . It has been really easy to move from one job site to another. I also don’t have to go out and “buy” filters. This one is washable. I think that it is well worth the money. But I rather not breathe the “stuff” that is floating in the air when I am doing any remodeling or demolition.
    I used it just the other day in my bathroom when I was sanding down an old painted door. It worked great–
    chucke

14. contractor pat says:

As for the genius who spoke of a furnace filter, bright guy! I’ve been using this “Bag” for 4 years, and have seen it clear a 1200 sq ft basement and keep it cleared while sheet rocking, especially during demolition. So you just keep using your furnace filter haha. I just used it for dropping a plaster ceiling last week, and at the end of the day “NO BLACK DISCHARGE FROM THE NOSE” but the bag was BLACK. You guys dont get it, the thing appears simple yet is actually a complex fabric. Mine filters after 4 yrs of abuse better than when it was new. The Tech Guy told me they heat cure them after a 14 step process. And the surprising thing is when you call, you get an American!
    The thing is this, I specialize in bldg’s pre dating the 1900’s, and this bag turns black with coal dust in my world. We’ve seen it pulling stuff from 20 feet away using the Vortex generated by the blades of the fan. The blocking of the intake w a furnace filter would defeat this event. I suspect some will treat is as they do the Face Mask, and not bother.
    I have read they are being used in Afghanistan, Irag and even in the “Dept of Energy” facilities. So men when you see a solution, before you start acting on impulse study the topic. I have seen a clean one turn gray when left overnight. We need this company to help keep our airborne dust under control, and given they are made in the states, we should be proud they are making an effort. Sorry the US Marine in me sneaks out sometimes, and demands maturity and respect!