I’m one of those horribly old-fashioned types who prefers using cash over plastic money, but here’s one bit of processed petrochemical I wouldn’t object to carrying. The Swisscard Lite has the same footprint as a credit card, and is about as thick as four of them — it doesn’t take a Nobel laureate to note that it’s perfect for wallet carry.

The surprising part is the number of functions Victorinox packs into the Swisscard. Knife, scissors, tweezers, a pin, a pen, light, and a small mirror, which is pretty much a list of things I don’t remember until twenty minutes into the morning commute. Okay, maybe not the mirror.

The cards come in a variety of colors and retail for around $20. Not a bad price for the convenience they bring to the table. It’s slightly cheaper than similar versions [What’s This?], and the steel Victorinox uses is some of the toughest available.

Swisscard Lite, Red Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Swisscard Lite, Black Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Swisscard Lite, Blue Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Practical Plastic

1. lowside says:

I had one of these for a while and really loved the thing up until it died. The card is basically constructed of two plastic halves that snap together. After a year or two of riding around in my wallet and being sat on repeatedly the plastic halves of the card started separating and eventually the card just sort of fell apart.

I agree the form factor is convenient, but personally I’d just stick with one of the small Victorinox knives that you can attach to your keys.

2. MattC says:

I had one and loved it until TSA decided that it could not travel with me. to be honest, it has such a small footprint that I completely forgot that it was in my wallet (my mistake). While I do not think that it will replace a quality multitool, it definitely is great in a pinch.

3. george says:

my wife has one and loves it. she is always using it.

4. Greg A. says:

I can actually agree with both lowside and MattC I broke mine after two years and always forgot it while going to the airport. The pen always seemed to be one of the handiest tools on these or the little ruler. Once mine broke, however, I realized how much smaller my wallet was and decided to not get another one.

5. Tetsubo says:

I carry one as part of my EDC. Though mine has a magnifying glass rather than a mirror. It has taken a bit of a beating however. But I’ve had it for almost 5 years. I might pick up a new one. I also carry a SwissTool.

6. Chris says:

Got one in the glove box of the cars for one of those rainy days.

7. Shopmonger says:

Would this be good for a motorcycle? Would it be useful. I am not a big bike rider but my father is. and i am always looking for a gift for the man who has everything.

ShopMonger

8. Adam says:

Shopmonger:

Would it be particularly good for a motorcyclist? Not really any more than for anyone else.

Many motorcyclists don’t like too much bulk in their pockets– fall on a bulky set of keys and you’ll know why– so this may be a good option for them.

But the tools included have no particular relevance to motorcyclists.

On the other hand, it’s somewhat likely your father’s motorcycle has somewhere on it he could stash a more substantial multitool without too much trouble.

My personal view on these card multitools is that I’ve been better served by a Leatherman Micra attached (via a convenient, very small screw-gate link– a “Versalink” from REI) to my keychain.

9. Marty says:

I carry one. I’ve had it two years without breakage (but I carry my wallet up front, so it does not get sat upon).

You neglected to mention the edges are marked with inches and mm, and that squarish metal thingy is a flat screwdriver. Like all the tools here, it is only for an emergency, but it becomes quite handy then.

It will not get through airport security, but it goes through most building metal detectors easily, while a similar tool on a keychain would be confiscated.