A few day ago some commenters expressed concerns about how you’d load and unload the Fatmax Portable Truck Box if all 42 gallons of stage space was filled with tools. One way would be to use a lift cart like this one from Northern Tool.

This lift cart will raise 300 lbs from 8-1/4″ to 28-3/4″ by pumping a foot pedal. To lower the load there’s a handle-mounted pressure release. The platform measures 27-1/2″ by 17-3/4″ and is 1-3/8″ thick.

Northern has several inexpensive hydraulic table carts that can handle from 300 to 1000 lbs in the $200 to $300 price range. The pictured lift cart runs about $190, but it’ll cost you $75 to ship so I’d recommend going to one of Northern’s brick and mortar stores if there’s one close to you or find a different source.

Lift Cart [Northern Tools]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Let Your Feet Do The Heavy Lifting

1. John Seiffer says:

Harbor Freight has a similar one I think I paid $99 when it was on special. It works fine except that the piston must have an internal leak – the height slowly lowers if you don’t block it with some wood. Not a problem in how I use it.

I mounted a torsion box on mine and use it as a work table.

2. Greg Friend says:

I purchased this very table a few weeks ago in order to permanently mount our tshirt press. Before this we were having to lift our 180 pound press onto a table when we would go to festivals. Now we just press the pedal a few times and we’re golden! Love it!

3. justsomeguy says:

of course it weighs 99lbs. What do you use to get it in and out of the truck? Could use some helpers – but if you have helpers why do you need this to get the box out of the truck?

4. Greg Friend says:

We sell tshirts at festivals on weekends. Since our heat press weighs so much I constructed a table that had casters on the top of the table on each corner. To transport the press, we flipped the table over, set the press inside of the legs and rolled it up the ramps into the van. When we would get to the show we would roll it down the ramps, set the press on the ground beside the table, flip the table, then set the press on top. I didn’t just put the casters on the legs because: 1) It would have been too top heavy in the van. 2) With the table legs extending above the press, I could put a shelf on top and stack more stuff. (Without that, we wouldn’t have enough room.) Now the press is permanently mounted to the top of the lift table. Yes it added 100 pounds to the total weight but it is still easier to roll than it was to awkwardly pick up the 180 lb. press. It isn’t top heavy in the van because it lowers to within 5 inches of where the press was on on old table. It also lifts the press higher than our old table so my back doesn’t hurt at the end of a 3 day show. 🙂

5. Toolhearty says:

I guess the point is that one of these carts won’t really help you load/unload that filled-to-capacity Stanley Fatmax toolbox unless you only take it out of the truck at one location and keep the cart at that location.

If one has ramps to get the cart in and out of the truck, might as well just use the ramps on the toolbox.

6. Lifting Carts says:

I think these lifting carts help a lot. It makes lifting a little easier on your back. Of course, you still need to make sure that you are following all of the proper safety precautions to make sure you are not going to hurt anything. But I definitely would look into a lifting cart, especially if you have a lot of lifting to do. I just recently bought one from Cartguy.com.