Constant-tension hose clamps are fast becoming ubiquitous on mass-produced cars, courtesy of their stone-cold reliability and automatic adjustment. Worm gear and T-bolt hose clamps should be re-torqued after installation with the hoses hot, since the clamping force squeezes rubber out from underneath the band (a tendency called cold creep), but constant-tension clamps keep themselves properly adjusted. They are, however, one of a mechanic’s knuckles’ worst enemies, and very difficult to detach without the right tools. Additionally, factory installations aren’t always the easiest to remove, which is where flexible hose clamp pliers come in.

Capable of reaching into incredibly tight spaces and securely compressing clamp tabs, the pliers are nearly a must if you service late-model cars or use constant-tension clamps in any application. Personally, I like them more than worm-gear clamps; simpler and maintenance-free, they’re well worth having another piece in my collection. Astro Pneumatic makes a good set you can find for $29 before shipping from S&J’s Discount Tool, which seems to be one of the best prices online. Not many auto parts stores will have good-quality versions, though you might get lucky at your local NAPA.

Astro Pneumatic flexible constant-tension hose clamp pliers [S&J’s Discount Tool]
Street pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers

1. bigalexe says:

Ok this makes me think of the courier service commercial (i forget if it was UPS, USPS, or Fedex) where the guy starts by saying how shipping is complicated and that tools aren’t.

2. Samuelito says:

When cleaning the coins and stuff out of the pump under my washing machine, I wished I had one of these. What I did was to squeeze the clamp open with a pair of pliers then tighten a zip cable tie around the clamp tabs to keep it open. When the hose and clamp were in position, I just cut the cable tie with a pair of end nipper pliers. Only then did I find out that I voided the home warranty on my washing machine forever.

3. Old Donn says:

Got the Craftsman version of these after a frustrating go-round with the lower hose on a Pontiac Sunfire. Paid for itself the first time I used it.

4. dar says:

-these c-t clamps can be sneaky: a pal had a mysterious coolant leak on his ranger- turned out to be the clamp wch had a hairline crack wch only opened up when eng temp was hot.
    -another [this time v.expensive] instance was with a F250’s tranny cooler hose wch popped off whilst motoring with family&trailer on the interstate…3 grand&3days of a week long vacation ‘hosed’
    -needless to say,all c-t clamps were replacedwith ye old jubilee-type hose clamp

5. Abe says:

I own a set of these and they are absolutely fabulous for their intended purpose once you get the hang of them. Regarding CT clamps-I’ve never had an issue with them.

6. ambush says:

Spring clamps seem to lose tension as they get older, combined with a little corrosion this can easily cause a leak. These pliers do come in very handy though.

7. Nick says:

I find that these type of pliers are a pain it seems it takes alot of force to open up the clamp