Not many screws are long enough to merit a 1:4 gearing to help tighten them more quickly, but the little buggers get frustrating fast if they are. This is the Skew Products Fastdriver, a screwdriver with a little (extra) twist. There’s a gear set in the body which turns every handle rotation into four shaft rotations. If you need more torque, the gearbox can be disengaged for normal 1:1 operation. It comes with two Phillips and two slot drivers and is compatible with 1/4″ hex inserts, the same type you’ll find in just about any interchangeable-head screwdriver, so this should work with your existing collection.

The Fastdriver’s pretty cheap, too — just $12 before shipping from SJ Discount Tools. I’d imagine it’s roughly as fast as a ratcheting screwdriver, but a little easier to use — no rapid back-and-forth nonsense making the tip slip out of the screw head.

Fastdriver [SJ Discount Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

9 Responses to A Speedier Screwdriver?

1. Matt says:

This is a must for replacing lots of wall outlets or outlet covers. Power drills are nice, but you can sometimes over torque and break the covers. 4×1 drive doesn’t have enough torque to break anything so you can just run them in and be done with it.

2. Toolhearty says:

Years ago, if I had a lot of mechanical assembly to do, I’d break out the Yankee/Stanley Spiral Ratcheting screwdriver (this was before there was such a wide selection of ratcheting screwdrivers out there):

Worked liked a champ, it’s still in the toolbox (for some reason, maybe sentimental). Looks like they’re only available as “antiques” these days.

3. Jerod says:

I have had my Mac “Overdriver” for 5 years or so. There is also a Craftsman version currently on clearance with the planentary system. As stated above, they are great for outlet covers, or service panel screws.

4. Gough says:

I think the Klein Rapi-Driv is a better solution. We’ve been carrying them on repaints for years, ever since I saw the electricians using them to install cover plates. It takes a few tries to get used to the action, but they are just the ticket for things like cover plates and locksets. You can imagine that, as painting contractors, we get to deal with a lot of these.

5. fred says:

@Toolhearty

Yeah – when I started in the business Yankees and Bit Braces were the way to drive screws, I still have Yankees in 3 different lengths – the longest one let you stand back or up from the work

6. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    Gough Says:
    I think the Klein Rapi-Driv is a better solution.
    —-
    I agree, although I often find myself using a T handle that I’ve magnetized. You can supply a lot more torque to loosen jammed/painted in/rusty screws, easily, and the flywheel effect of the t allows a enough drive to sink or remove most switchplate screws with a simple spin of the wrist.

7. Gough50 says:

Putnam

The T-handle looks like a Cool Tool to me, I haven’t seen that until your post. The Rapi-Driv isn’t good for high torque, so this would be better for that.

Adding it to my wish list.

8. Gough50 says:

Oops, forgot where I was…. How many others here look at both Cool Tools and Toolmonger? Lots, I’d imagine.

9. browndog77 says:

Just picked up the Craftsman version today @ the $13.49 closeout price. Haven’t un packed it yet, but since I spent the last 2 evenings doing the finish electrical in my addition, I’ve got lots of switch & outlet covers to play on!