So you have an older quality Jacobs chuck that has problems — maybe it’s stuck and could use a good cleaning, or perhaps the problems are more severe from a lifetime of spinning bits in the jaws and you need to replace parts. How the heck do you do it?

Jacobs has a short guide up on their website but we found two (#1, #2) other sites that detail how to disassembe and reassemble the standard Jacobs chuck. Once you get it apart you can inspect for damage. You’ll have to buy a repair kit that consists of new jaws, split nut and if it’s a ball bearing chuck, new balls and race. Oddly, Jacobs doesn’t have those up on their site but they are available from any industrial supply place such as MSC or McMaster Carr, even on Amazon [What’s This?]. It’s worth checking eBay for them from time to time as well if you rebuild machine tools as a hobby or business.

Often just a good cleaning and lube job will make the difference between a chuck that works well and one that has you swearing like a sailor.

A Short Guide [Jacob’s Chuck]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair

1. Pepster says:

What is the point of the Jacob’s chuck? All of my rotating tools came with perfectly functional chucks, and I’ve never had one break. I’m a DIYer, so maybe they break more often for the pros, but I just don’t get how often I hear about these things.

Are they THAT much better than the factory chucks?

2. Rick F. says:

Try this other site with great photos of the process used to unstick a totally rusted Jacobs chuck :

3. Brice says:

Most quality tools come with Jacobs chucks, might not see the name, but it’s probably Jacobs. I had an old Makita 9.6 v that I used at work. Almost all my hole drilling was in thin/soft material, drywall, or sheetmetal. The 3/8 chuck was a real pain if I wanted to drill a two inch whole in sheet rock. So I replaced it with a 1/2 Jacobs. I run a big Dewalt for my work drill now. I can usually get three years out of a chuck before it either jams, or is just plain worn out.

4. Joe C. says:

Pepster, as an example, the keyless chuck that came on my Dewalt drill worked okay, but required a lot of hand force to get the chuck tight enough to hold the bit from slipping. The Jacobs that replaced it needs only a moderate twist to hold far tighter. As a bonus, the new chuck is slimmer and shorter.

Keyed Jacobs chucks work smoothly and hold securely, plus when they need maintenance, it’s possible, unlike most cheap chucks.

Jacobs isn’t the only quality chuck available, but it’s a trusted, proven brand.

5. ambush says:

I find many drills can’t even hold a small drill bit in the stock chuck. The only chuck brands I have had good experience with are Jacobs, Crosman and Rohiti. I haven’t tried everything though. And as already stated all chucks will eventually wear out, just like any other mechanical part.

6. Faggot64 says:

This means the niceties and proprieties of life loose priority. ,