Drillspot has what seems to be the lowest prices on Flex-Hones. For instance, $8.97 for a 1/4″ hone and 12.01 for a 3/4″ diameter hone. Of course, they do have many different sizes available — this one just jumped out at us.

Flex hones are used to debur and smooth a bore, as well as provide a cross-hatched finish, which is important for retaining lubricant on the walls of a cylinder (oddly enough you don’t want a polished bore in many applications, you want a bit of tooth) such as a brake cylinder. Because the individual “globules” of abrasive float in their bristles, you get a self-centering action that should give a uniform finish.

Flex Hone [drillspot.com]

9 Responses to Dealmonger: Flex Hone

1. Adam says:

We used these at the shop for our own low-cost project bike builds and for just “cleaning up” cylinders for customer bikes… but for high-performance or higher-value build projects we always sent out the cylinders, pistons, and new rings to a specialty shop to be done up. Still handy for home repairs, I suppose 🙂

Anyone else call them “dingleberries” though? I don’t know if that was just us or if that’s prevalent. Always seemed like an appropriate name 😀

2. FredB says:

The last time I honed a cylinder I used a disk sander. I stood on the piston which had been dropped clear of the bottom of the cylinder.

This was at Ladish Co. in Cudahy, Wisconsin and I was working on what was at the time the third largest hydraulic press in the world.

3. ChrisW says:

I got a 4 inch diameter of these from a yard sale. I had no idea what it was for, but it does a great job cleaning dryer vent pipe!

4. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

Anyone know how they would do on a brass cylinder? (model steam engine cylinder – I want to remove machining roughness)

5. Joe C. says:

Hey FredB:

One of my favorite pictures from my Dad’s stuff is of him standing on top of a piston, scraper in hand, on his WWII navy ship. He was in the Seabees.

I used to stare at that when I was little, amazed at the size of it all. This, and my blacksmith grandfather, started me down the road of loving machinery* and such.

*One of my favorite jokes/lines: Old man to (inept) young ‘un: “Boy, get away from that wheelbarrow, you don’t know nuthin bout no “chin’ry”.

6. Shopmonger says:

Measure: I would think you would want the least abrasive (read aggressive) so maybe one with very fine abrasive and lots of lubricant, like maybe not using cutting fluid, but like Marvel Mystery oil.. or even some 10-40 synthetic motor oil as to keep the cuts small, but remove some of the machine marks. What Diameter are you working with?

ShopMonger

7. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

Hi Shopmonger –
    0.5″ Diameter – pretty small. Someone had suggested using the piston with toothpaste to hone both together (I guess kind of like seating a valve?).

8. Shopmonger says:

Yes that is true, or even using one of those “pressure seated” sanding drums with no sand paper and just some polishing compound from the big box.

Although for fine work maybe a hone for brake calipers would be best, you can pickup these at any local auto store, but make sure again to use good lubricant to not “glaze” the metal.

ShopMonger