Aldi probably isn’t the first place you’d look for an emergency generator, but they’re running a fine deal on a Kingcraft model as we speak. Specifications include 2,500W continuous output (20A at 120VAC), 3,250W peak output, two AC sockets, 12VDC terminals, and a 6.5HP motor. Claimed run time at half load is eight hours, requiring four gallons of fuel.

Kingcraft probably isn’t the best generator manufacturer, but the asking price is less than half that of comparable models. A similar Troy-Bilt model retails for $429, and Generac’s 3,250W unit costs $469. Both Troy-Bilt and Generac rate their products by continuous output rather than peak, so they have a leg up on the Kingcraft from the start. The unit is produced by the daintily-named Chong Qing Dajiang Power Equipment Co. LTD, a Chinese industrial engine manufacturer. No surprise at the price. Still, a discriminating rifleman has good things to say about the Kingcraft.

Kingcraft 3,250W Generator [Aldi Foods]

Tagged with:

12 Responses to Dealmonger: $200 Generator

1. Toolhearty says:

Regarding Aldi Foods as being a source for your power generation needs:

I’d sooner buy a generator from them than I would, say, food. 🙂

2. Eric says:

Is it diesel or gas?

3. Alex M. says:

Evidently a honda clone – probably goes from “good deal” to “excellent deal” if indeed that’s a made-in-china-from-honda-castings motor. Reminiscent of the “linhai yamaha” motors you can find in scooters and minibikes – made in china from stolen/duplicated yamaha motor castings. The quality of the design partially offsets the fact that the motor was made from random mixed scrap metal melted down and cut with straw and panda bear organ meat.

4. PutnamEco says:

I know of some people that use the Chinese made All Power America Portable Generators and they seem to hold up reasonably well and are surprisingly quite. Their smalllest is available from Northern tool for $200 also.
    I would NOT get one of these if you need reliable power for day to day jobsite use, as I don’t think that parts would be easily available, and I would doubt their durability. I would buy one of these if I was working in a high crime or hazardous area when there was a good chance the generator would either be stolen or meet some other ontoward fate.

5. PutnamEco says:

I should have Googled first, All Power America and the original post Kingcraft appear identical.

6. Aaron says:

Reguarding the food at Aldi. Don’t knock it until you try it. Most of the off brand stuff they sell is as good as anything you would get at Kroger, ect. and the German coffee they sell is miles better than anything from Folgers or Maxwell House. But YMMV.

7. Toolhearty says:

Aaron Says:
    Reguarding the food at Aldi. Don’t knock it until you try it.

We have an Aldi distribution center (warehouse) about a half-mile up the road. A nice fella’ from the County dropped in on them to have a look around. He was so impressed by what he saw, he told management to give everyone a couple weeks vacation and said that if they kept it up, everyone would get even more time off. He also mentioned they might want to do something about their vermin problem in the meantime. 🙂

In all fairness, this was a few years ago and I have no reason to believe the place isn’t squeeky clean this days. …and I would imagine that if you’re in the grocery business, vermin come with the territory.

I really can’t knock Aldi’s as I never shop there. As you say, I might have to try it sometime.

8. Fourmat says:

Just went out and picked one of these up. Have a house with a well, and it sucks when the power goes out…don’t know when we’ll have running water. So I imagine as long as I keep the gas drained or fresh, it will serve the purpose for short bursts.

On the issue of Aldi food, some of it is great, some of it is not so great. You have to just try it and see if you like it. Some of it is just repackaged name brand stuff. It’s so obvious because they even reuse the same printing plates and designs for the boxes, just plaster a different brand name on it. Marie Calladers Chicken Pot Pies for example. Other stuff is dollar store equivalent. *shrug* just gotta try it.

9. Karen says:

We just bought one, it doesn’t have a manual in the box, can’t get it to start. Any suggestions?

10. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    Karen Says:
    ————-
    Many times fuel tanks are coated internally to prevent rust, sometimes this clogs the fuel filters. My first thought would be to make sure you have fuel getting into the carburetor. Second, you’ll want to see if there is spark, at the spark plug.
    Go to http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3443
    for more tips

11. James says:

I bought one of these the first day they were offered at Aldi, finally got around to taking it out of the box today. It seems to be identical to the All Power America unit, and the KingCraft warranty card even goes to the same address as they have listed under contact info on their site.

If you need a manual, they do have one available on their site for the All Power brand: http://www.allpoweramerica.com/productdetails.php?id_prd=94

That manual is quite similar to the one that came with mine, although the EPA certificate shows a different engine manufacturer (mine is a Jiangsu Jiangdong, not the Chong Qing Dajiang.)

12. Luis Pedro Maltos says:

the motor is a honda clone ???