Despite the fact that these bags look a lot like bags of leaves piled in front of a car, what they really are is air-lift bags that can jack up your car or light truck under its own power. The Titan jack uses the vehicle’s exhaust to inflate a bag that lifts the car.

Seems interesting, but having never used one we have no idea how well they work. This either sounds like a very good or very bad idea. On one hand, no pump required. On the other hand you now have your car sitting on a bag of exhaust gas. Anyone out there have one?

Amazon has the 3-ton Titan Exhaust Jack for $109.99.

Titan Air Jack [Chandler Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

16 Responses to Titan 3-Ton Exhaust Jack

1. Another Michael says:

I don’t know about this one. I know that emergency crews have used inflatable bags for years to lift various objects. On the website (featuring multiple run-on sentences and other grammatical nightmares) the hose never seems to be connected to the vehicle being lifted. It doesn’t say whether or not you use the vehicle to be lifted or a separate vehicle to inflate the ‘jack’. Personally, I’m wary of having a car on any jack running while in the air. The website also mentions that the bag will stay inflated for ‘up to 45 minutes’ – which I’m assuming means after the car supplying the exhaust is turned off. I’d want to know if that means the vehicle is slowly being lowered during this 45 minutes. Doesn’t sound like the best setup to me.

2. Dave P says:

My grandfather and I once devised a contraption that mated the car exhaust with a Hav-a-Hart trap in order to euthanize the squirrels he caught. We abandoned it as too cruel. This reminds me of it.

This actually seems like a pretty damn good idea if your car got stuck in the mud or something. As far as safety goes, it can’t be more dangerous than the crappy little scissor jack that comes in your car…

3. Matt says:

I’ve used it and it is fairly straight forward to use. Smack it on the exhaust pipe while you have it positioned under the car and up it goes. The large surface area make lifing a car or truck easy. Just make sure you have the car in park with the parking brake on as it may roll around a little (the jack doesn’t really always want to stay put).

I’m not sure how this would work with dual exhausts or dual exhaust tips. When you deflate it you will end up smelling like exhaust.

For something that can fit in a bag and can easily let you change a tire or get out of a jam on unlevel/soft ground this would be ideal for offroad use.

The standard trunk mounted bottle jack works fine for street applications.

4. generalist says:

If you have even a small (otherwise unnoticeable) exhaust leak this baby will stall at the first few hundred pounds. So buy it, try it (looks OK to me), stow it in your car for 50k miles while you develop a small pre-tailpipe orifice, then pull it out, try it and kiss your $109 goodbye. Now where did I put that jack?

I tried one so you don’t need to.

5. Matt says:

I’m not sure I would agree with you generalist. . .

a small leak really shouldn’t be an issue. The amount of air going out that leak vs. the overall output from the exhaust would make the leak marginal if noticeable at all. The pressure in the “jack” is fairly low and I think the engine would stall out before pushing all it’s air through a tiny pin hole.

6. George says:

I’ve got one. Well, not this exact one, it’s an X-Jack from Bushranger http://www.bushranger.com.au/xjack.php

I got it for off road use, and in the snow here in Canada. It does what it’s supposed to do, and does it well. It spreads the load out so you can jack on sand and other soft surfaces.

Almost a must for offroading. But you’ll look silly if you use it to change a flat tire. Although, that being said, my other car is a low slung car with no ground clearance, and this is only an inch high when deflated.

7. matt says:

@ non-beleivers, as you all know there isn’t one tool that’s good at everything. That being said, these are way more safe than bumper jacks and much less hard on bumpers. When your 4×4 is stuck in deep snow or mud and you need to lift it while remaining stable this type of jack can’t be beat. Mine rescue crews have been using this type for years to lift large rock off of victims. This type of jack has it’s place in the world. Nuff said.

8. Brau says:

I can see the broad area coverage of this jack would serve well, especially on semi-soft or uneven surfaces and where the vehicle is too close to the ground for a mechanical jack. However, having been almost caught once by a very slowly leaking hydraulic jack, I worry about other’s suffering the same thing. By the time I noticed the car was sinking I could barely squeeze out. While I’m sure these are very tough, there must be at least some risk of failure as they age. I wonder if there’s a date stamp on them?

9. melvin says:

I’ve got one that I’ve never used. Though I can’t see how this would be any more dangerous than a catastrophic failure of any jack which is why you should never trust any jack and always use blocking of some sort or stands if you are going to put anything you care about between the ground and what ever the jack is holding up.

10. Bubbub says:

Personal experience tells me that my regular car jack doesn’t work in the dirt. (Imagine my surprise and head-scratching.) As has been said, this contraption would be your option when your regular jack fails you.

11. G.Taylor says:

These are my comments….#1 always SAFETY FIRST!!

I believe that this air jack can solve alot of troubles.
    When using a product/equipment like this,always read and follow the instructions.
    Never try to exceed the weight limit of the equipment you are using.
    Put the vehicle in PARK and set the EMERGENCY BRAKE!!!!!!
    You have more time than life..so triple check the situation that is in front of you!!!!

I’ve used an electric 12 volt scissor lift by Road Master that I bought from Walmart over 5 years ago , I know over 20 times, from helping people stranded beside the road to helping my dad lift the porch 10×16…we had to put the jack on concrete blocks underneath the porch to shorten the distance,but it still did the job!!

I believe I can trust this product!!!!!

12. CAST says:

Don’t trust them.

NEVER EVER use one without something else under the vehicle to catch it if the jack fails. Mine has been used no more than 5 times. I jacked up a 4wd with it last weekend and the jack burst a seam. It will blow without any warning so keep clear just in case, or the next call will be for an ambulance or a tow truck.(Either way the result is sure to be costly) If you can use something else then leave the exhaust jack at home. You will be far better off. There is no way to test one of these and guarantee that it won’t fail the next time that you try to use it.

My advice is to save your money.

13. CAST says:

The air bag jack will give you a quick lift on poor ground so when used with other support it can get you out of trouble on the sand or snow but be sure that you have extra support especially if you’re going to take off wheels.

14. Dan Bright says:

this does not replace a manually operated jack. mainly an exaust leak your not gonna have any luck. and terrain is always a factor on any kind of jack. but for simple roadside flat situation it looks ok