Irwin has been busy doing what Irwin does best: making products under their ever-growing umbrella makes sense. In this case we’re talking about the Irwin Performance Threading System. In a nutshell, their new system takes a few evolutionary steps in an attempt to make our tapping projects easier.

First, Irwin sings the praises of their new self-aligning taps that feature new starter threads to get the tap aligned properly before getting cranked up. Simply place the tap in the hole and it aligns itself correctly every time. The new taps also feature a chip-breaking technology (or CBT) that helps smooth the thread-making process a little more than their older bits.

Not stopping there, Irwin also rolled out self-aligning dies. An alignment plate on the die aligns itself on the stud instead of cranking an angle that works itself out over time and may break or snap the rod.

The best part of the entire system is that they come in three parts. Dies, taps, and driving tools are all sold in separate kits so that you can buy whichever part you need rather than the the-all-or-nothing approach these types of kits used to be. I’m not sure who came up with that but we think it was a great idea. Almost everyone buying kits still has the drive tools from the last kit they mangled. What they really need is just the taps or perhaps dies — smart move.

It looks like each kit goes for around $50-$60 individually or about $160 all together.

Performance Threading System [Irwin]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Irwin Performance Threading System

1. ToolGuyd says:

Any word yet as to where these are made?

2. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

I’d say WHO makes them is far more important than WHERE they are made!

3. Fritz Gorbach says:

Irwin(hanson) has a pretty good reputation for threading tools, and I doubt these would let anyone down. Although I don’t own any, I have a couple of sets from snap on, which I’m told are made by Irwin, and rebranded in a red box instead of blue.
    As for these specific sets, I couldn’t find them on the Irwin web site, and I only found the drive tool set on Amazon. My curiosity is how comprehensive will these be?
    I have taps and dies up to one inch in coarse and fine, and to 18 mm in metric, pipe taps to inch and a half, plus taper taps, bottoming taps, rethreading taps and dies, extra long nut and pulley taps, coated taps for stainless and cast iron, a handful of carbide taps, and left handed taps for some pump rebuilding applications. Then there’s a couple of boxes full of drive tools for em, and don’t forget the right drill bits for all of them. And I use every one of them, and I always need one I don’t have. Did you ever try to find an eight inch long, 1/4-28, left hand tap, at 4 o clock on a Friday?
    More than likely, you’ll need something that this set can’t cover, and will the special tools work in that circumstance? I’d say start with a good, basic set from craftsman, irwin, or snap on, and add what you need from there. Irwin, and snap on, have a great set that has tools up to 1/2 inch, and 12mm, and all the drill bits to match, and some ez outs, and a couple of pipe taps, annd everything will work with everything else. A set with a proprietary drive mmay cover your “basic” needs, but I find that when it’s time to start working with taps and dies, theres not too much basic left going on.

4. rjnerd says:

Couldn’t find a more detailed picture, but the taps look most like ordinary gun point machinist taps. (my preferred style)

5. Chris says:

Measure,ToolguyD – I did some digging….IRWIN makes these, in their plant in Gorham ME.
    After using IRWIN sets before and the Mac, and Matco branded IRWIN stuff, I would expect not to be let down by these new sets.

6. Mike says:

Nice looking sets as displayed on amazon http://tinyurl.com/nv7ym7
    but it would have been nice if they made the kits lock into each other in a stack wise fashion.

7. fred says:

It looks like Newell-Rubbermaid now may be marketing more under their Irwin brand name. I took a look at our Tap inventory (over 600 pieces) and found that Kennametal brands (Greenfield , Chicago-LaTrobe etc.) seem to represent about 40% of the count – but Newell-Rubbermaid brands (Hanson and Irwin) are a runner-up with about 30%. We keep ours in Huot sliding drawer indexes. While buying sets may be a good deal, there are an array of different applications – as some others commented that may need starting taps, taper taps, plug taps, spiral flute taps, bottoming taps, pulley taps, LH taps etc.