Many woodworkers make drawers out to be a beast that cannot be tamed by fire or steel, when in fact they can be quite simple to build. Case in point: reader Flabby Boohoo stuffed these keepsake drawers into the bookcase he’s building.

Before anyone jumps the gun and lets loose the slings and arrows of carpentry finish work, we can see that when open, the drawers show the ply lines. However since Flabby Boohoo was going for a nice piece of furniture and not a woodcrafting showboat, we say well done.

The drawers will be in the closed position 99% of their lives so we see no reason to suffer trying to bring them up to someone else’s version of correct. Also, when they’re closed you can’t tell anyway. The birch ply and pine fronts look great, especially since they were scrap to begin with, and the stain pulls the grain out of the pine beautifully.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

9 Responses to Flickr Pool: Scrap Drawers

1. Shopmonger says:

I think this looks nice. I know most HARDCORE woodworkers don’t like the ply, but the faces are nice, with good spacing. Why7 not go easy and cheap on the drawers. Most of your guests won’t ever see them…

ShopMonger

2. Clint says:

I agree that using ply for drawers is cost effective and detract very little from the overall ascetic or value of the project.

3. Jasony says:

I consider myself a hardcore WWer and I have no problem with using ply. It’s a great material in the right spot. Building a $10,000 highboy? Use solid wood. Building a sub-$1000 piece? Go crazy with the ply if it makes you happy.

It’s all about the right tool for the job, and any “serious” woodworker who eschews ply because it’s not “real” wood is a close-minded fool.

4. MeasureOnceCutTwice says:

Lots & lots of “fine” antiques use appropriate cost and labor saving methods where they don’t show – it just makes sense.

Nice looking case!

5. Kris says:

Plywood drawer sides & backs are not only cost effective but also don’t move seasonally as much as solid wood. I have a gorgeous antique dresser that’s been in my family for many years but it drives me nuts when a couple of the drawers start sticking.

6. Fritz Gorbach says:

I LOVE PLYWOOD, And I have no problem celebrating the material. I find the plies attractive when cut and finished right, and I think in this case it is a nice look when contrasted with the smooth lines of the solid wood. Oh, and I never built anything that looked that nice -at least no yet. Excellent work.

Oh, and as a side note – I recently discovered something called russian birch plywood at a local lumber wholesaler. I guess pro carpenters and cabinetmakers use it regularly, but I have never seen it. It comes in 5×5 panels,and every layer is birch, as opposed to the birch veneer plywood at the big box stores, and it was about half the price per square foot as that stuff, and man is it nice. I think they had 3mm, 7mm, 12mm, and 15mm thicknesses. I got some to play with, but I haven’t touched it yet.

7. It is looking nice and attractive design. I know most of the Hardware wood makers don’t like the ply, but the design which has shown its nice creation with good space. It is affordable and durable to purchase any of the users.

For more design you just click to:http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/08/junk_store_corner_cabinet_make.html

Thanks
    Oliver Johnson

8. Brau says:

I like the way he exposed the dado’s between the drawers. Gives it a bit of an Art Deco look, instead of it all looking plainly horizontal. Puritans may not like it, but I do.

9. Flabby Boohoo says:

Thanks for the support! I just finished the second of two for my boy’s room. The plywood exposed is something that I have gone back and forth on a few times. Most of the time I hide it with edge banding or strips of wood. I like the look this time around.

And it was a budget job (since I am unemployed right now).

I liked it enough to make an entire project using that idea of exposed plys:

An a-b switchbox of laminated 1/2 birch.

-Dave