There’s a scene in the film Battle of the Bulge where Telly Savalas siphons gas from a drum to fuel his Sherman tank and winds up spiting diesel. Every time I’ve ever siphoned anything I remember it and think to myself, there’s a real man. Me, I’m a big sissy; I’d use something like the Drill-Powered Pump from Northern tools.

Jack a drill into the side to crank up to 650 GPH through a standard garden hose up to fifty feet. The pump is 5 1/2 in. from inlet to outlet, 3 1/2 in. thick x 3 in. high and will require a few band clamps to fit to either end of the section of hose you’d like to use, but other than that just add a 3/8″ or 1/2″ drill.

For us, $5 -$10 is worth it not to have to suck down non-potable liquids the three or four times it would take to get a steady flow going — and we’re not as cool as Telly Savalas anyway.

Drill Powered Pump [Northern Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

11 Responses to Drill-Powered Pump

1. Jim German says:

Keep in mind that drills aren’t meant for continous duty, and using a pump like this for more than a little while is going to cause bad things to happen to your drill.

2. JKB says:

While I understand it was just a lead in, the use of a non-intrinsically safe device to pump a volatile liquid such as gasoline is a quick way to die. Foregoing whether the pump builds up heat or has parts that could spark, having a drill operating in the vicinity of transferring gasoline is fumes+spark=boom.

Here is an example of a guy who foolishly chose to use a non-intrinsically safe device in the vicinity of gasoline.

But for short jobs transferring non-volatile liquids these are a good solution.

3. Toolhearty says:

…and I, for one, am every bit as cool as Telly Savalas (well, mostly).

4. Jaxx says:

Keep in mind these are cheap and nasty and overheat themselves in about 30 secs, i would never trust one to do anything but start a siphon.

Also you really need the speed and tork of a big drill to do anything useful. (which they wont anyway, so just save yourself the headache of these failing when you really need it and buy a cheap mains powerd pond pump)

5. FredB says:

I’ve had two. Neither one worked.

6. Dave P says:

Shermans used gasoline.

7. Brad Justinen says:

I heard and read that these things suck big time. No pun intended.

8. Mrten says:

The label for those things, when purchased overhere in the Netherlands, reads something akin to “do not use for >30 seconds”. They do not seem worth the trouble.

9. flarney says:

I bought one and it was crap. Went to the dollar store and got a squeeze operated one [squeeze the ball end to start the flow] and it worked ten times better, was a buck, used no power and is essentially disposible if you need to. Don’t know if gasoline would melt the plastic but there would be absolutely no fire hazard and no need for outside power.

10. David Bryan says:

I’ve swallowed a lot less gasoline using a clear siphoning hose. And you blow bubbles first so’s you don’t get a lungful of fumes. If you have to do it.

11. Robert Rankin says:

I sure wouldn’t use a drill powered pump on any flamable as most (all) drills emit sparks. “boom”!!!!!!!