General’s new Cordless Power Precision Screwdriver is probably one of those tools you would not appreciate until you’ve had to remove or insert a shipload of teeny, tiny screws in electronics, computers, models, and similar equipment. With six precision 1/8″ quick-change chuck bits (#00 and #0 Phillips, 1/16″ and 1/8″ slotted, and T5 and T6 Torx) and batteries (two AAA) included, the $24 Model #500 weighs only 2.4 oz. Its 100+ RPM motor has forward and reverse controls.

Cordless Power Precision Screwdriver [General]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

11 Responses to General Power Precision Screwdriver

1. Dave P says:

You’ll probably need to temper the bits yourself, since General has a horrible habit of selling mini-drivers with incredibly brittle steel.

2. Shopmonger says:

So my question to all the electro-guys out there is would you use this on electronics,? Or would the motor create too much static and ruin a sensitive board?

ShopMonger

3. Mr P says:

WIHA has a nice collection of precision bits and should be able to handle the 100 rpm and ~2.43 in/lb (± 10%) of torque it makes
    And the individual bits http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/750serie.htm

4. Mr P says:

Sorry correction wiha bits would not work wiha bits are 4mm drive Genaral is 1/8in or 3.175mm what a bummer

5. Toolhearty says:

Shopmonger Says:

So my question to all the electro-guys out there is would you use this on electronics?

It should be fine. If you’re paranoid and working on something like an expensive computer motherboard, use an anti-static mat and a wrist strap. I’ve never used either and have yet to zap anything; but then again, I work with a guy that I swear can build up an impressive static charge just standing still.

6. Brad Justinen says:

Very Cool!

7. ToolGuyd says:

I really don’t think that I would trust such a tool with precision fasteners. Strip out the head, and you’re the one that’s “screwed.”

8. Fritz Gorbach says:

I’m sure i’ve posted on this before, but I have had bad luck with several tools from general, and emails, and phone calls to their customer service department went without so much as a response. It’s kind of a shame I’m so stubborn, because they have some neat stuff at reasonable prices, but I wont buy another thing from them.

9. Nate says:

I’ll agree about General’s screwdriver tips. And seriously, 1/8″? The whole industry has standardized on 4mm as the sub-1/4″ size for precision screwdriver bits, making this a sure dust-gatherer once you shred the included tips.

10. doc says:

Hi Fritz. Please drop me an emaill and let me know what/who did not answer your questions at General Tool. I sure will. loardhavlock@aol.com
    And Nate…you can do the same as no one has ‘standardised’ the 4mm or sub 1/4″ bits as you say. Actually there is no standard as volume for ‘bits’ as a market really does not exist for larger consumer market…yet…and using the micro 4mm bits from a variety of hobby and other tool makers leads to Q.A. problems. Using the 1/4″ bits General is at least sure their bits are used in their tools. Feedback from public is that their GT Cordless Precision Screwdrivers are not ‘gathering dust’ anywhere.

11. leah moore says:

I NEED a small, handheld, drill for working on phones, tablets, laptops, etc
    Features I need:
    lighted
    magnetized
    solid quality steel bits (pentalobe, mini Phillips, star, various torx…T1, T2,etc- a full variety of quality bits)
    long lasting rechargeable battery life
    I would buy at least a couple to try. If they are a good, dependable product. I’d buy them for all our techs at our stores.