I can’t say I’m 100% sure on how these rotating gate valve lockouts from Master Lock are intended to be used, but I’m guessing one possible use is to prevent somebody from turning the water — especially if it’s heated to steam — back on when you’re working on a plumbing project across the building. If lock-out tag-out works for electricians, why not for plumbers?

When locked, the valve lockout surrounds the handle and freely rotates about it so you can’t turn it. You can also knock out the center for rising stem gate valves — in other words, if the center sticks out farther than the lockout. There’s room for multiple locks, in case more than one person is working on a branch and you need clearance from each person before turning the valve back on.

Made from Xenoy thermoplastic which is tough, lightweight, and chemical resistant, the lockout will operate in temperatures from -50°F to 350°F. Master Lock sells five different sizes that fit 1″ to 3″ diameter handles, 2″ to 5″ handles, 4″ to 6-1/2″, 6″ to 10″ handles, and 8″ to 13″ handles.

You can buy the valve lockouts singly starting at $11 to $28 depending on size, or buy a set with all five sizes which nest neatly into each other for around $100.

Valve Lockout [Master Lock]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Save The Shower For Later

1. Shopmonger says:

Or for main water inlets into a building, or old fashion fire hydrants that still have the wheel on them…….

ShopMonger

2. rg says:

These are commonly used on gate valves in industry (oil/gas, water processing, etc.). Another way to lockout a gate valve is a length of chain or cable and a padlock. I don’t think a typical home owner would have much use for this.

3. Mel E says:

Valve covers like these are a regular part of a lock out/tag out kit. Remember lock out/Tag out covers any kind of energized systems, electric, hydraulic, gas, steam, and kinetic.

4. browndog77 says:

Homeowners in older homes, where the outdoor hose bibs aren’t frost free, could make use of these to prevent accidental water damage (or loss). They usually have a s+w on the line in the basement. Kinda pricey though. A roll of red electrical tape would do a lot of valves.

5. _Jon says:

browndog77’s comment reminds me of an issue where punks would turn on the outdoor spigot and stick the hose inside a window (car, house, basement). This would prevent that.

6. Brice says:

Like most LOTO devices, this thing only works in an environment where people respect them. People bent on destruction can easily remove/destroy these devices. I LOTO’d a steam valve when I needed to rebuild a pressure reducer. The operators got pissy that their heat wasn’t on and beat it off. I hope the steam burn they received was worth it to them. If they’d been caught it would have cost them their job. They are lucky it didn’t cost them their life.

7. Cameron Watt says:

Brice: I admire your restraint. In most places I’ve worked those operators might have turned up floating in the harbour. 😉 Those operators could have hurt or killed you as surely as if they had fired a pistol in your direction.

What about the investigation? In most places where I’ve worked, even the smallest violation of lock-out procedure could be career ending.

Lock-out procedures protect lives; it’s that simple. Even if you’re alone, lock it out. You never who could wander in and flip a switch. If it only happens once in 40 years it’s too often.