The companies that make new and improved utility knives must think that millions of dollars in labor are lost each year when workers stop to change blades. Either that or they just need to make a better profit margin on blades. Not to be left out, Clauss manufactured yet another “next generation” utility knife that uses a cartridge-based system to hold and replace blades.

The disposable cartridge holds either 5 or 10 double-edged blades, which means you have 10 or 20 sharp edges to use before needing a new cartridge — funny how something that’s standard on all utility knives can become a selling point. When you’ve used up all the edges you simply swap out the used cartridge with a fresh one. The cartridge covers the blade edges so you can carry and store them safely.

They claim their titanium-bonded blades are 3x stronger than steel alone, so maybe you won’t snap the tip off the blades anymore. They sell blades in utility, dubbed, serrated, and hook styles, and the cartridges are color-coded for easy identification. Looks like Rapid Tools isn’t the only company selling serrated utility blades.

You can pick up one of these utility knifes for $12 shipped from Amazon, or $10 plus tax if you stop by your local Northern Tool. Replacement blades start at $6 for a cartridge of 10. I wonder if you can just stuff regular utility blades in a cartridge to save some dough.

SpeedPak Utility Knife [Clauss]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to SpeedPak Utility Knife

1. Chris says:

I got my hands on one of these and gave it a quick once over. You can’t stuff a regular blade in the cartridge. The blades that come with it are a bit smaller in length and in height than a regular trap blade which prevents another blade from fitting in the cartridge. Not to mention, if you did somehow get it in the notches up top are squre where most blade notches have rounded ends which I’m sure will jam up the retract/reload feature.

I’ll stick with my IRWIN Blue Blades thank you very much Clauss.

2. apotheosis says:

Remember, tap the magazine on your helmet to make sure the blades are properly seated, and slam the forward-assist once you’ve pulled the charging lever.

3. Shopmonger says:

Cocked loaded and ready to rock………

ShopMonger

4. thomas says:

I have a stanley utility knife. It got left on a machine i was working on outside for about 4 weeks. Got run over by a forklift when the machine got moved. Despite a little warpage, still works.

5. ttabob says:

I thought that snap blade type knives made these utility knives obsolete.

6. browndog77 says:

I don’t think the folks at Clauss are thinking right. Trying to market a utility knife that uses only proprietary blades is nuts. Even the snap-offs are standardized. The cartridge may be handy, but ten blades is quite a bit of bulk + weight to carry at all times if you need to. I use good quality blades (lennox gold) and keep a quickie sharpener in the toolbag. (the type with 2 crossed carbide bars and a finger shield) I use my knife many times each day and only need to replace if I hit something really nasty.

7. dom says:

Thanks Chris, for the info on the proprietary blades and square notches!

At $6 for ten special blades, Clauss must have been hoping for a Pentagon contract.

Every now and then I find 100 packs of standard utility knife blades at discount stores (like Big Lots or Marc’s here) for $5.99.

Couple years ago I bought an Alltrade squeeze/pump lever action with 5-blade magazine well (uses standard utility blades). Thought was, hey, with it I’ve got extra blades already with me. But it didn’t feel good in the hand — too bulky through the middle, and the blade edge was parallel with the Alltrade’s long axis. And that’s the most important thing about a hand tool, how it feels and plays out in the hand.

So now I sport a quick-open, Gurkha-shaped, single-shot, yellow-next-to-black-friend-of-jack utility knife, and end the day with a few whisks across a wetted diamond card sharpener — before the blade gets appreciably dull.

That utility knife only cost $2.68, I already had the diamond card sharpener for my carbide-tipped chisels, and I’m only ten in on the hundred pack I bought two years ago