Reader Tmib_Seattle has managed to put together a badass little blacksmithing program for the local Boy Scout troop he labeled “Camp Hahobas 2009” in the Toolmonger photo pool. Whether or not it actually is located in the historic BSA camp grounds doesn’t really matter to us, though it might be since Seattle is only about 30 miles north of Tacoma.

Check out the wicked metal bending these guys have going on and you begin to understand what Tmib is actually doing. These are kids that would probably have no exposure to blacksmithing in their lives, and a day or two spent over a fire gives them a positive, hands-on experience to take away with them.

We also dug the illustrated board with the hammer blow breakdown chart on how to position them on the anvil and where to bring the hammer down.

It obviously took a lot of prep, time and some cash to give this experience to these young men and our hats are off to Tmib_Seattle and everyone else involved. Exposing young people to old ways of doing things can be a challenge in itself — of course, you’ve always got a young man’s attention when fire is involved.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

12 Responses to Teaching The Next Generation — With Fire

1. Rick says:

That is VERY cool….

2. tmib_seattle says:

Thanks for the feature!

The photos are primarily from the first two weeks of camp (and yep, it was at Camp Hahobas, BSA, near Tahuya, WA). I taught smithing there for 5 one-week sessions this summer. It was a great way to spend my vacation, and I know the scouts really had a good time too.

3. Chris says:

tmib_seattle, you are doing a very good thing. Keep it up.

I would definitely attend a class like this in my spare time if I had the opportunity. You know, just in case I ever found myself in a situation where I needed those sort of skills.

cl

4. heywood says:

Damn I’m jealous…I was a scout in troop 125 (seattle) and quit the scouts because we had so many candy-a$$es in my troop; on a backpacking trip from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie we only made it 2 days before giving up due to some of the kids being too afraid to cross a somewhat steep snowy face and wasting nearly a whole day not moving fast enough.

Always wished I had belonged to a good troop…good work tmib, I’m sure the kids’ favorite class was yours! I wanna smithing merit badge!

5. Matt K says:

The National Ornamental Metal Museum here in Memphis offers blacksmithing classes :

I have not attendend yet, but I do plan on it.

6. Jasony says:

Most excellent. I applaud you, sir.

7. Brett from Utah says:

I too wish my scout troop was cool like dat…

8. Mrs. TMIB says:

Losing the hubby for 5 weeks was a drag, but it was for a good cause, and I’m very proud of him. 🙂

(and I got all the “demo” S-hooks that he made to show the kids how it’s done!) *goes crazy hanging things everywhere*

9. Shopmonger says:

Congrats Sir, that is most admirable. And Mrs TMIB you are doing next generations much love by giving up your husband for a great cause

10. Zathrus says:

TMIB — you rock. Not only do you make cool projects, repeatedly, but giving back like this is amazing.

And Mrs TMIB — you rock too. Just remember, no hanging him, no matter what the kids did. They’re fair game though.

11. apotheosis says:

Outstanding work, tmib. A lot of our last campout was spent flint knapping and the scouts loved it…maybe a good smithing class would be even better-received.

12. Gladiator GarageWorks says:

It’s great to know that the next generation is getting taught some old-school skills. I remember learning stuff like this when I was in Boy Scouts and I can say that even though I didn’t become a blacksmith the skills it took to do complete the job have help in many other areas in my life. Great job Tmib_Seattle!